Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2xUL112 or UL112+UL110 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello to all TBers !

Welle, I'm constently thinking to the benefits of a realy small portable yet powerful and versatile rig and I may take the plonge soon.

I've narrowed it to :
    Markbass Little Mark II head (only 2.9 kg) 500 W at 4 ohms, 300 W at 8 ohms
    :hyper:

Epifani UL110 or UL 112 cabs.
    :meh:
    Well this is where things get not so simple.

Should I go for a combo of 2 UL112 or 2 UL110 or one of each ?

I'm usualy a 4x10" player playing exclusivly on 5 strings bass Roscoe and Warwick. I'm quite a slapping man and my style varies from jazz fusion to rock/funk.

I'm a bit concerned that 2 12" speaker could be a bit midrangy or too "vintage" sounding. I like modern tone my cure big rig is a Glockenklang Soul+ Glock 4x10".

I read some opinion about the great Epi UL110+UL112 combo but what is your opinion taking my style, playing and context into account ?

Thanks to share men and women.

Sheers

Shiveringbass

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Lots of folks like 2 1x12s, but a few of them here also like the 1x10 and 1x12. They seem to think that they compliment to be more than the sum of their parts.

3. Definitely NOT 2 110UL's.... not enough booty.

the two 112's vs. 112/110UL decision is similar to the decision that the Schroeder guys make (1210 or 1212). I have heard the two 112's and that's wonderful sounding... bigger sounding than the 210UL and very portable. I assume, just like with the Schroeder1210, the 112/110UL combo will give you a little more upper mid definition and you will loose a little 'oomph'.

If you like modern and slap, as per you post, I would think you would want the additional booty of the second 112. The UL line has plenty of upper mid definition anyway IMO.

4. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I used to play Glockenklang Soul through a 410NYC Epifani, but decided to switch to a more portable setup. I finally decided on a 112UL in combination with a 210UL. The 210 is not as "under your arm" as a 112, but I found this to be a perfect combination soundwise (I also play jazz fusion to funk/rock).

With smaller gigs I have the choice of bringing along either 112 or 210, depending on the acoustics, size and density of the venue. If I need a bit more punch and clarity I take the 210, if it doesn't matter all that much I take the 112 on my left pinky.

And I traded the Soul for the Epi 502UL for more headroom, soundwise there is something to be said for both amps.

I suggest that you try out several combination of UL cabinets before you decide.

Rgds, Steven

5. +1... All the UL cabs sound great to me, and they are just so light. I kind of took the other path... since the cabs are so light, I actually sold my smaller UL's and am now using a 410UL for most of my gigs. While the cab is large, I can still easily lift it onto a stage (with one hand if needed), and with the castors, it's actually easier for me to move around than the smaller cabs... no need for a cart... just put my head on top and wheel it in. It has so much booty, I rarely even take the castors off... no need to couple it to the floor.

I spent so many years compromising my sound by using small cabs that were still kind of heavy.... now, personally, I find no reason to compromise my sound at all... given the incredible sound to weight ratio of the wonderful 410UL. Similarly, when I have travel space or stage space issues, I go with a small Schroeder cab, which is the loudest single small cab solution I've ever come across.

6. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks for your opinions men !

Kjung, it's quite interesting that you find that 2 112 would be better suiting to a slapper than 1 112 and 1 110. I would have found the contrary... anyway, interesting.

UL 210 is not an option for me, I realy want to concentrate on to two single speaker cabs to have the moste portable rig possible.
    I guess I'll have to try both but it won't be easy caus Epi is not yet avalable here so it will mean a 500 km trip to Dutchland...

Anyway, some other opinions on that choice... maybe Tom could come in ?

Sheers

Shiveringbass

7. I have two 1x12UL's and they are great. A really portable rig.
    Maybe you should to contact Enrico at www.woodandtronics.com in italy. He is very nice and he also offers Epifani at good price!

-Christian

8. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Maybe Saturday 18 February would be a good date, there will be a gathering of Dutch bass players in Hilversum and I will be there with my Epifani rig. We could meet if you like. And better call Edwin in advance to learn what he has in stock. BTW, Edwin has moved to a new location in another part of Hilversum, but I guess you already knew that.

Grtz, Steven

9. I'm sure both combinations would sound great... however, I find that using the slap technique at volume can really put a strain on speakers. Given you are going small, I feel the two 12's can handle those peaks and the lows you need for a good slap sound better than the 112/110. If slapping is really a large part of your playing style, I'd actually recommend the 310 or 410 over the two 112 stack... but that wasn't an option you gave me:)

10. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hi FR5,

I didn't know that Edwin has mooved. Anyway he's a great guy to deal with. I've bought my Glock rig from him and it has been a realy pleasent transaction.
    :d
    And thanks for the offer, I'll see if I can make the trip at that moment.

Why did you choose your set-up, 1 112+1 210" and not 2 112 for instance ?

Thanks man

Sheers

11. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Indeed Kjung, for portability reason, 310 or 410 are not realy what I'm looking for even if I have thought to those solution...
    2 112 could allow me to take only one cab for rehorsals and two for gigs for instance.

Anyway thanks man, your advice are always realy helpful.
    :)

Sheers

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would think that a UL112/UL110 combo might have a bit more balanced tonal presentation, but the two UL112's might be better for that low end slap punch, and would certainly move more air.

Tom.

13. I agree with Tom. That's pretty much exactly what I was gonna say!
    I have the 110/112 setup and while the tonal balance is superb and there's just the right amount of bite for my mainly-fingerstyle approach, I personally found the 2x112 setup to be a great combo for someone who predominantly slaps. I will also agree that the 12's are better suited to handle the intense peaks and transients as well.
    One of the main reason for me to get the 110 was its' tremendous portability. I have to hand-carry my rig to most of my gigs/rehearsals and being able to take my stuff through the subways without a cart is huge!
    If you can manage to A/B them first that would be the best, of course! :D