Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$3.00 strings revisited

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fo' Shizzle, May 10, 2004.

1. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Good day to all....

It occured to me that this might be a good time to revisit the issue of the Hartke givaways. I figure that most of us have had a chance to put 'em on and have an opinion.

I've now played 2 gigs and 2 rehearsals with them and can now say with absolute certainty..........

I paid too much. :spit:
    These things are horrible!! I knew that they were going to be a step down (I'm a DR guy) but I thought they would at least be able bridge the gap to the next set of DR's. Nope. Hopefully this will be a good lesson for manufacturers: if you're looking to branch into a new product market do your homework. If you can't bring something new to the market just do what you do and do it well.

What do ya'll think??
    Fo'

2. I ordered a $3.00 set and gave them to a friend who wanted to boil their strings. I figure these $3.00 strings have to sound better than a set of used boiled strings. :meh:

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Have you got to hear or play these?? I think I'd rather boil myself than continue with them. :D (thanks, i'll be here all week. try the veal!!)

Fo

4. I ordered the extra light set, and I love them on my P-bass...call me crazy but I love em...

And I'd be more than willing to take anyone's set who didn't want them!!! :D

5. Yes, I have.........I put a set on one of my 74 P basses and I like the sound and feel. I still like Thomastik-Infeld better, but these are okay!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Where do you get these strings? Cause I mean for 3 bux you can't expect TOO much, and I figure its worth a try, so now to find out where to get some. If they suck as much as you say, I'll send them to some bassist friends in 3rd world countries. They'd still be better than the disintegrating strings they play (thats if they get them with the crazy mail)

7. I agree the Hartkes are worth the money, but not much more.

Ampeg is giving away D'adarios when you "test drive" a portabass.

sounds like a much better offer.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It does, and I was all ready to jump all over the offer (one in my name, one in the fiancée’s mailed to her folks house)... until I noticed that the giveaway ended in August of 2003. :bawl:

9. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I heard the Hartke strings are just repackaged D-Addario XL's. Sam Ash (which is a sister company of Hartke, under parent Samson) sells them 3 for $20 at times.

The Ampeg giveaway was for D'Addario XL EXP's, which have the extended life coating and are relatively expensive - that was a genuine score.

Despite the many brands, there are really only a few string manufacturers.

10. There's a better than good chance you've been told wrong.

A D'Addario XL would not be trashed like The Fo'man has here. You may not LIKE XL's for whatever reason but they are not mistakable for a low quality string in any case.

I've used different versions of these strings since 1976 and they are currently on all of my basses (8 to date) and I have yet to be disatisfied with their quality. I have, on occasion, found that some basses like different versions of the XL's but those were the only instances of having to change them for sound.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    +1 to the XL's

I like them enough to not try and search for anything different. I tried a Hartke B string, when I was stringing my fretless, BEAD, and it made me restring the bass in standard tuning.

12. i wan 3 dollar strings!!! where do you get them at??????

13. Yeah, the strings aren't really that great. The quality varies from string-to-string. The E and A are decent, but the D and G are worse than them and the B...wow, I had that thing on their for 2 seconds. No tone at all. Just utter crap. I need to put my old strings back on...

14. There was an article in Bass Player Mag a few months back and a bunch of us ordered the strings then.

I believe that offer expired Feb. 2004.

You can purchase Hartke strings online HERE but I believe they start at $9.00 per-set depending on what set you order!

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. The moment I took the Hartke strings out of the package, I knew that they were CRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. How do you explain that one? Couldn't be by looking at them because they look just like other strings...

17. :rollno: isn't that special Mr. Goody Good.........you really need to add to the thread instead of making a[​IMG]of yourself.

Try to be helpful and explain how or why you think they are
    [​IMG]
    Treena

18. man that suks. i would pick thm up for 3bucs but 9?? no thanks. i'll jus live wit my old strings

19. No, they LOOKED like CRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!! right out of the box.

I put them on anyway out of curiosity, and they SOUNDED like CRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!.

If you have to actually ask why they're CRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!, then you'll never know.

And while we're on the subject of CRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!, the three bucks I spent on the Hartke's went totally down the toilet....

20. Wow, you must of gotten the most utterly horrible looking pack in the world then. The two packs I had looked perfectly normal, but when put on didn't sound too good at all.