1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 1/2 windings around post necessarily bad?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by triggervision, Mar 25, 2009.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I don't know why but I cut my strings a bit longer this time...giving about 3 1/2 windings around the post. I normally have less than 3. Everything stays in tune fine. Just wondering if there's more to the whole no more than 3 windings saying?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've never heard that saying. :confused:

3. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    All I've ever heard is that you don't need more than two, and from the experience of having cut my most recent A string short, I'd say you probably want more than one.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It depends on the way your tuning machines are made. The Schallers that were on my two Hamer Cruise basses wouldn't let you get three on there. On the A string for a typical Fender I'll have three because it helps ensure downward pressure on the nut. The pictures I've seen of Marcus Miller seem to show he puts a LOT of windings on the post.

The only problems I would expect with too many windings are that the extra windings can cause more room for the string to store slack and cause some tuning issues, and that you may not have enough room on the post for too many windings.

jte

5. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    What I found works best is 1.) Don't overlap the windings/thinner strings will/can have more windings on the post. 2.) The last winding should be at the bottom/lowest part of the string post. This will insure optimum downward pressure on the nut. Once you find the proper cut string length, just copy it on your new set to save time.

6. KevtheRev

KevtheRev

Feb 3, 2008
    Agree. On my jazzes, if I don't have 3 windings on the A string there's not enough down pressure on the nut to keep it from rattling when I play a hard open note. Other basses will differ based upon headstock/tuner configuration and angle, and use string retainers. Don't know about you guys, but when I put on new strings I always make sure that there is tension on the string as I wind - that seems to help minimize stored up slack.
    Cheers!

7. I agreed with the above.

I cut my strings so that I get enough wraps to get from top to bottom before heading to the nut. Usually 3 - 3.5