3-10 v. 4-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Sep 4, 2001.

1. I just ordered a used "mint" Eden D-410 XLT listed on HC.
    I should get it tomorrow.
    Now I have tried a Bergantino 3-10 and it was killer. But, I wonder if the Eden puts out more oomph than the Berg. I did not have the chance to A/B them.
    BTW, the Eden cost me half what the Berg would have.
    I also hear a lot of hoopla on Epifani 3-10s too.
  2. I was very displeased with the Epifani 3x10 - the 2x12 is the way to go there. I think you made a good decision with the XLT.
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I would think that a 4-10 would put out more "oomph" than a 3-10 just because of the extra speaker. Especially when you are comparing Edens and Bergs.

As it turns out I went up to BassNW last Friday to torture Redd, Chad and Aaron. I tested out the 4-10's that they had. I also plugged into the Epifani 3-10 and the Berg 3-10 and the 2-12.

If I were buying a speaker cab that afternoon I would have walked out with the Bergantino 3-10. That speaker was heads above the rest in overall tone. I couldn't believe just how good it sounded. I would have never thought that since I really prefer an "old school" kinda tone.

As it turns out I bought an Eden WT-800 to replace my WT-500. I'm stuck on picking up a 4-10 cab that is 8 ohms so it works with the 800's 8 ohm, when bridged, requirement. So most likely I'll be getting either the Aguilar GS410 or the Eden 410xlt.

I just REALLY wish that Bergantino would put out a 4-10 cab. I would most certainly go that way.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah ok, ,,,a 3x10........why? just get a dang 4x10.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This is being discussed on another thread but the 3x10 has close to the same output with the size of the 2x10 cab.

The Bergantino does sound big and deep. An awesome speaker but I think that you did right by going with the Eden 410xlt.
  6. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that if I got the Berg 3-10, then it would not match the D-210 XLT, so I would have to therefore get rid of the 2-10 and get another Berg. Another grand! less the beating I would take on the 2-10.
    So it was $560. v.$1,750. or so, and the Eden will match my WP100/ WT1000.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You did good. You can't beat the Eden D410XLT for my money.
  8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I don't know if I'm the only one but I tried the Bergantino's and didn't hear anything special. Actually I didn't like them better than say and Eden.
  9. why 3x10 ? the only reason i can think of is size..
    you want more output than 2x10, but don't have the space to store 4x10.. but yes.. i've never heard any positive stories on 3x10's.. :\
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Epifani was the first to offer a 3-10, now every maker is falling all over themsleves to offer one.

The stories I've heard were indeed that size was the whole reason for the cab. A 4-10 is pretty damn big and heavy and for touring players who have to deal with airline baggage restrictions supposedly the 3-10 squeaks under some size/weight limit while the 4-10 doesn't.

The fact that other companies are copying the idea shows how knee-jerk this business really is. The 1-12 is suddenly making a comeback, too. You'd think noone had ever used 12s for bass before the way the hype is.

BTW, I've heard stories (unconfirmed) that Mr. Bergantino did design work for both Epifani and Aguilar. We know that the early SWR Goliath cabs were built by Eden. No wonder all these cabs appear to be cut from the same cloth sometimes!

When checking out cabs it would be better if we were all blind and noone told us what was in the box, then we could judge on the only important factors:

1. does it sound good
    2. is the size and weight satisfactory
    3. can I afford it
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BTW: I just tested this amazing cab:

Tech Soundsystems ND 210 XT

2 x10" Ciare Neodymium speakers w/ dynamic tweeter

4 Ohm

102 dB

38-20000 Hz

700 W RMS (!)

65 x 38 x 43 cm

18,5 kg

www.tech-soundsystems.de (only German)

U.S.: either Salwender or Luthiers Access Group, I think
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Mr. Bergantino designed cabs for Epifani. I'm not sure about Aguilar though.

Isn't the weight limit for checked baggage on planes something like 75 pounds per person? If so that would make sense because the Epifani 310 is 70 lbs, and most 410's weigh around 100 lbs.
  13. Thanks for the feedback. I got the cab today. I would have bet it was brand new. It's dead mint!
    The guy I dealt with is Bill Erwin from Atlanta Discount Music. E-Mail is gourmetguitars@mindspring.com
    I did the transaction over the phone, and he shipped that afternoon (within 1 hour).
    Check him out.
  14. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    When I purchased my last cab, I too tortured Chad and Aaron at BassNW and listened to them play my Am Deluxe 5 string through the Epifani 310, Bergantino 310, and the Eden D 410 XLT. The Epifani sounded nice but didn't seem to have the gusto at loud volumes. I thought the Berg and the Eden were pretty comparible, maybe giving a slight edge to the Berg. However, after putting price into the mix and already being a fan Eden cabs, I went with the XLT.

4 months later, I'm very happy with my decision.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've tried to contact Salwender several times... nothing, so I gave up. Gary Grainger, a Tech user, lives nearby but I decided not to bug him.
  16. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    JMX, this Tech cab (respectively their 212) looks like it's the cab I've always been looking for...

How did you like it, compared to other 210's?

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Matthias, it's amazing, definitely up there with Glockenklang.
    Can't wait to test the 4x10 version, 1400 W RMS!

Brad, here's their email:

They should hook you up with their distributor
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Isn't that only about 40 pounds?

Is it made out of cardboard?
  20. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    They use neodym magnets instead of ferrit magnets, their magnetic field is 7 times stronger, that saves a lot of weight. (Neodym is being used in high end audio equipment for some years already but it's expensive.)
    They also use poplar plywood instead of birch, and due to less weight of the drivers cab design can be lighter too.
    However these cabs got excellent reviews by the renowned magazine 'Gitarre & Bass'.
    In my eyes these cabs are revolutionary....