3 1x15s or just 2? Head or Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PBnJBassist, May 12, 2012.

1. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Got a dilemma so far. My set up currently is (from my signature) an Acoustic B200 combo linked to two 1x15 Acoustic B115 cabs. I also have an Acoustic B200H (head) that I'm starting to question if I should be selling it or the combo. I play bass strictly as a hobby, so small gigs and venues are likely - never anything bigger than a church or bar. Should I keep the head and go with a head & 2 cab setup or keep my current combo + 2 cab set up? I've heard my bass through both setups and it seems the same, but I'm starting to feel that having 3 1x15 speakers might be overkill (for now).

Thanks in advance. :smug:

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Assuming the combo speaker is already 8 ohms, you can only connect one other 8 ohm cab to it. Adding two 8 ohm cabs would kill it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There is some debate as to what type of spkr connections are in those Acoustic amps. Some say they are series wired, (which is uncommon)- and that would mean the more cabs you add, the less wattage the amp would produce. But, if they're parallel, like most ALL other amps, then using 3 8 ohm cabs would drop the impedance below 4 ohms, and thusly, fry the amp over time. Either way, the best options are 1- keep the head with 2 of the cabs, OR 2- keep the combo with 1 of the cabs.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Some of those Acoustics do have series ext. jacks.

Yeah, 3 is overkill. Small stuff like you're doing I'd keep the combo and 1 ext. cab, or the head and 2 cabs, whichever is more convenient for you to haul around. Likely only need 1 speaker most of the time, the second for the occasional bigger or outdoor gig, and just to have a spare speaker around just in case.

If you view this as all separate units, you have 2 amps and 3 speakers. I'd sell 1 speaker. Maybe an amp too but I'm anal about having backups for everything. Keeping an extra amp head around doesn't take up much space.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    In this case the B200 combo has Series External jack.
    the head version is parallel. Both are 4ohm stable.

so even if you ran a .5 ohm speaker the total load would be 4.5ohms which is ok.
    3x15 sounds like fun to me, but its really your call since your the one loading. If you really hear no difference, then Combo +
    one extension cabinet sounds good. I personally like head versions
    and the Acoustic 600 appears to be 2ohm stable.
    for being considered a cheap piece of crap. I bet it will outlast
    many current production heads at twice the price.

2pov24j.jpg

6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    +1

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    3 can be fun.:D

Big outdoor festival stage stuff I'd run the head and 215's behind me and give the combo to my drummer for his own personal bass monitor. Scattering like that works on those huge stages with no backdrop. Whatever lowend anomalies it might try to cause get bulldozed by the big horn subs anyway.

Piling it all up for a "Tower of Power" could be fun too. Of course, if you're hauling it all yourself....my previous answer may be a little more practical.:smug:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021