3/4, 1/2....sizes and scales?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Suburban, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Please excuse a newbie on the BigBasso....
    People talk about sizes of the instrument, in different numbers of quarters. What does this mean?
    And especially, what are the scale lengths per size?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    As I understand it, and I'm certainly not going to claim infallibility on this one, the different sizes more refer to body sizes than string lengths. I've played 3/4 basses with string lengths as varied as 39 1/2" almost all the way up to 44". My current bass is 45" (and 1/2?) from the bottom of the body to the button (on the back of the neck) and Shank called it a '3/4 modified' instead of a '7/8 modified' on the bill of sale, although he could have gone either way as I'm right on the line between the two sizes.

Shorter answer: 3/4 is what you'll find most commonly. If the bass seems particularly big, then it's likely a 7/8. 4/4 basses aren't that common, and are just plain monsters. I played a full-size monster one time and had to lean the bass way over (with the pin all the way in) to reach half-position!

There're some luthier/maker sorts floating around here. Hopefully one will stop in a give a better answer soon...