1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3/4 '59 Kay case size

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Ruuumble, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Ruuumble

Ruuumble

May 8, 2011
    Ello all - I looked for this info somewhere and havent found it in existing thread. I have a '59 Kay M-1 - it came w a 3/4 bass gig bag. Anyway the bag was really tight fit and zipper got stressed and failed. I need to get a good bag and looking at some other soft cases online- it seems that 3/4 size bags generally accommodate a bass with measurement from top of scroll to bottom of body (not endpin) of 72". This measurement on my bass is 74"-75". Has anyone w a vintage Kay have this problem?
    I would get a 4/4 bag but not sure how much bigger that is and I don't want the case to be too floppy. Does anyone have vintage kay with a padded case they bought that fits correctly? What brand?
    Thanks in advance

2. desert hardwood

desert hardwood

Sep 14, 2010
    I have an Upton standard and it came with the Upton "De La Ville" bag. I'm pretty sure it will fit an old Kay.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Kays are a little less than 72" long. The Upton 'de la Ville' bags fit very well - snug but not tight. ;)

4. Phil Howe

Phil Howe

Nov 29, 2011
    By co-incidence, I'm looking for a bag for a 1950 Kay S-51 "Chubby Jackson" 5 string model. The measurement of mine from bottom of body to end of scroll is only 71 1/2" and the endpin adds another 3 inches. I have feelers out right now for different recommendations, but everyone I've talked to seems to think that mine should fit a normal 3/4 size bag from Mooradian or one of the others. The old bag was canvas and has holes big enough to drive a small car through...

Time will tell, I guess...

5. Ruuumble

Ruuumble

May 8, 2011
    Thanks guys for input- yep the standard 3/4" bag fits - the Upton bag is perfect - I think it was more a case of the old bag having the zipper on top (over the strings- not the greatest idea ever)
    The upton bag zips around side edge - practically no stress on the zipper (or strings!). For $119 - best deal going-
    The mooridean (close) bags are nice but a little pricey ......my upton bag is on the way

6. You guys put your Kays in a cover when you take it to a gig? Fancy fancy! :D

7. Ruuumble

Ruuumble

May 8, 2011
    Uh yeah......

Attached Files: