1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3/4 Basslines

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Shoehorn, Mar 17, 2008.

1. <hijack>

Oh snap. I wrote that quickly from work, haven't looked at those liner notes in quite a while - evidently I've had it in my head it was JG for a long time. There are so many ways to be wrong on the Internets. Ha.

Yeah the other version is noticeably different from disc 1 - and I'm sure you're right. Although - a little googling turns up Dave Wild's site (author of the liner notes) who credits RW and JG on both versions (http://home.att.net/~dawild/vanguard.htm) - which is weird because it doesn't sound like there are two basses on that track, at least off the top.

Can we agree that that's a killin' bass part ... ? Reggie! Yeah!

I'll ... just ... quiet down now.

</hijack>

2. Now I've always felt that a lot of people feel the same way about Charlie Haden. But when you listen underneath the basic level of whats going on you hear so much interplay between these guys and whoever it is they're playing with. I'm listening to Coltrane's first meditations right now, its amazing how many of Coltrane's ideas start off with something that garrison plays. I also think maybe the reason people feel that way is the lack of solos on studio recordings? He wasn't really soloing so people feel he was just along to keep a bottom. I don't know.

I do know that he is one of my biggest influences, and had one of the biggest sounds with some of the heaviest rhythmic stuff goin on at the time that that stuff was being recorded.

Back to first meditations on the alternate take of Joy Garrison takes a beautiful solo, filled with some great chordal playing, heavy rhythmic, and harmonic stuff, plus an amazing motific development with some great blues stuff in there too. What a well rounded solo, lots to learn, maybe I'll do that next.