1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3/4 Carved Juzek For Sale *PRICE DROP*

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by pkivory, Jun 2, 2011.

1. pkivory

pkivory Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    For Sale: Carved ¾ Juzek bass circa early 1960’s. New bridge, new endpin, recently dressed fingerboard. The bass bar was replaced and any cracks were cleated. All work was done at David Gage’s shop. The bass is solid, loud and ready to gig. The specs are:
    String length: 42”
    Body length: 44”
    Upper bout : 19 ½”
    Lower bout: 25 ¾”
    Includes Gage pickup. [DEL]$6500.00[/DEL] $5800 PM or email at pkivory@aol.com. Bass is located in northeast New Jersey.

Pics: FYI - The instrument is actually more amber colored then the pics suggest. Must be the lighting.

Attached Files:

2. Is it just me, or is there " A+2" scratched into the back?

3. pkivory

Dec 29, 2004
    It's not just you, the instrument probably did some time as a school bass.

4. Ahh, that explains it.

5. pkivory

Dec 29, 2004
    Price Drop @ $5800!

6. Cant believe it! We never get sweet basses for reasonable price in Australia!!! :(

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I think the lowest price new Wilfer is $7k. This is a played in quality bass most likely made by Wilfer and may very well have better wood than what is found today. $5800 is a very good price, and if the bass sounds great, it's a bargain.

8. I have not played this bass, but I did play the New Standard that the OP recently sold. The lighting in the room where these photos were taken is less than ideal for digital photography. While I did not look very closely at this Juzek I can say for a fact that the Cleveland was in better condition than the photos suggested.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Meh... cracks even if they go through the whole bass may not matter. Depends on how well it was repaired. It's already been to Gages, so I would say crack is probably nothing to worry about.

There are basses out there worth several times that prices with plenty more cracks that haven't lost much of it's value. $5800 is a great price for vintage fully carved bass.

10. pkivory

Dec 29, 2004
    I'd also be interested in trading for a smaller 3/4 bass. Carved, 41"(or so) string length and slim shoulders.

11. pkivory

Dec 29, 2004
    Price Drop - $5500

12. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Trade offer

13. pkivory

Dec 29, 2004
    Bump...

14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Can't believe this isn't sold yet. Bargain.