1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

SOLD 3/4 flat back carved top. Reghin Made in Romania

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by smperry, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Price:
    $1400
    Strings:
    Hi,

Due to an impending cross-country move, I'm selling my double bass. I also cut into my middle finger on my left hand a couple months ago and still have some nerve damage,so I'm wondering if I should just focus on the electric bass anyway.

Anyway, the bass has no markings other than a Yellow "Made in Roumania Reghin" (that's how it's spelled) label inside. Because of that, I'm not sure of the age. Another TB member thought seventies or eighties. It has a solid spruce top and a thick ebony board and tailpiece. I believe that the back and sides are maple. There is some damage to one of the sides that I tried to show. The cracks have all been glued, but since this took place before I bought the bass, I don't know more than that. I don't see any issues with the top at all, other than playing wear. There is a chip in the headstock, but it's cosmetic. The scratch in the neck heel is just a scratch, not a break. The tuners work well and there's some decorative carving on the plates (underneath the patina). The endpin slants slightly forward, but seems fine otherwise. I don't know what strings are on it; I just kept the ones that were on it when I bought it last October. There's plenty of wear and I tried to price it accordingly.

I'm a hack on db, but to me it has a clearer tone than my previous Kay O-1. It's equally loud but not as "big" sounding, but I think there's better note separation. Maybe that's due to the strings. Arco sounds nice to my untrained ears, but that could also be a function of the strings.

I'm located on Long Island and could probably deliver nearby for a reasonable fee if you can't get to my house. Given the move, money is best. I'd also consider trades/partial trades for electric basses or small amps. Trade value is probably a little higher, but I'll work with you. I can't add money for a trade at this time.

Edit: Thumbnails below. If you open one in a new window, you'll see that the actual pictures are "Uge."

Thanks.

P1060886.JPG P1060887.JPG P1060888.JPG P1060889.JPG P1060890.JPG P1060891.JPG P1060892.JPG P1060893.JPG P1060894.JPG P1060895.JPG P1060896.JPG P1060897.JPG WP_20151109_003.jpg

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    More info would be useful:

Scale length?

3/4 size? (Maybe post to size specifics...)

Current strings - since you don't know, if you could get a good picture of the tailpiece end of them, we might be able to figure that out.

Endpin - we know it's bent, but is it loose and/or can you figure out how/why/where it's bent?

Stand included?

Quiver included?

Bow included? (more info if it is, pls)

Pickup included? (more info if it is, pls)

Case included?

Nassua, Suffolk?

-S-

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll try to answer a bunch of questions here to help with private messages.

It's 41" from nut to bridge. I wrote 3/4 size in the title. Sorry that wasn't clear. The endpin itself isn't bent; the mounting is at an angle. It's not loose at all, and is probably held there from tension at the tailpiece. I haven't tried to force it to be perpendicular, and don't want to as it's solid now. It adjusts fine with the usual screw-lock method.

I was going to sell some things separately, but I'll include all the accessories if asked nicely. ;) Stand, bows, quiver, Pop's rosin, a nice padded case, a piezo pickup, and I think a backup. The bows are your basic Glasser type, one French, one German. I forget what kind of bag it is, but it's a padded green one. Plenty of books too. I can discuss with potential buyers.

I can post more pictures, but if you open them in a new window and enlarge, you can see the strings pretty well. They have brass ball ends and have red silk at the top and bottom. I'll also get a picture of the back, which I forgot to do. It's four piece. It's clear that the top and back are not laminates when you see the (worn) edges. The fingerboard is ebony for sure.

I'm in Bay Shore, which is on the South Shore in Western Suffolk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.