1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3/4 Menzel Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by sq105, Mar 11, 2013.

1. sq105

sq105 Country Squire

Jan 19, 2013
    Owen Sound, Ontario
    In great condition this 3/4 size Menzel bass has a solid feel.
    Ply body, ebony fingerboard, metal tailpiece.
    I'm guessing its from the 1990s.
    Located in Ontario willing to meet up in Owen Sound/Wiarton area.
    Asking $850.
    See this link for pics: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/bra/msg/3673897216.html
    thanks for looking!

2. Can you let me know the full disclosure? Any issues? Any repairs needed?...etc.

Thanks you.

3. sq105

sq105 Country Squire

Jan 19, 2013
    Owen Sound, Ontario
    Thanks for your interest. Here's some pics now that I've found the attachment button. I don't know of any issues with this bass.

Upton Bass is exclusive NJ dealer of Menzel basses & I copied this from their website for you:
    Richard E. Menzel founded Menzel Violins in 1973. Menzel studied lutherie with the famous Carleen Hutchins of Montclair, New Jersey, whose works can be seen at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. He was also the Secretary of the Catgut Acoustical Society for twenty-five years. Menzel was widely known for honesty and integrity in his business dealings. For Richard Menzel, ethics was number one. He passed away suddenly in May of 2000. His daughter Mo Menzel now continues the tradition.

So you can call this a Mo Menzel bass:)

4. I think you got it backwards. Upton bass in is CT, and their site says "Our exclusive New Jersey dealer of Upton Bass Double Basses:
    Menzel Violins"

I've never heard of a Menzel Bass. I'm not in the market for a bass in CA, but for an Upton bass you bought from Menzel violins (in good shape) $850 would be a bargain. The metal tailpiece makes me suspect it's not an Upton, but a Chinese made bass.

5. Menzel basses are Chinese basses.

Jan, I emailed you by the way.

6. sq105

sq105 Country Squire

Jan 19, 2013
    Owen Sound, Ontario
    Sorry 'bout that - its a Menzel labelled bass made in China I guess private label for the NJ dealer. The quality seems better than other Chinese basses I've tried.