Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3/4 or 4/4???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by _alex_, Dec 5, 2004.

1. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    hello,
    this may look a silly question :help: but i want to buy a double bass, i quit playing 10 years ago.and now i can play again :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    in the past i had a cz bass hybrid and it was 4/4 .if i remember well the bass was pretty big and i had difficult to play.
    but as the 3/4 the same kind of sound?
    what is the most common(standard) size?

thanks

2. MartinT

MartinT

Apr 16, 2003
    San Mateo CA
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I think you mean 7/8. Since there are very few 4/4 Basses in existance, the new factory Basses larger than 3/4 call them 4/4 in error. I just bought a new Cover for my 7/8 Shen. I had to buy the Full sized 4/4 cover because there was no 7/8 available. It barely fits my Bass. I called the company and told them that their 4/4 cover was a small 7/8. My Bass has 8" ribs plus the top and Back but with sloped shoulders. This cover will not even fit a regular 7/8.....We have discussed this b4 in length..... Do a search... but..

If your'e just getting back to playing... Get a 3/4 sized Bass with a 41" string length or so.. 7/8 is the next size up and averages 42" on modern Basses. Older Basses had different or NO standard sizes in the past. From about 50 years ago and up to now, the sizes are closer in agreement.

4. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    thanks for the info :hyper:
    i was checking the strunal web site and i check there the 4/4 and the 3/4 measurents.
    so pls check it www.strunal.cz and see if they are correct with the sizes.

thanks