3/4 or full size?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Lance Jaegan, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    In buying a double bass, is there any advantage to a full size over a 3/4 size bass? Does anyone make full size basses anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. There is no reason on earth to buy a full-size. Sound production and quality are no better than a 3/4, and the fingering can be annoying. Full size is the hardest to resell. Nobody wants them.
    Having said that, rather than being concerned with size, 3/4, 7/8, full, you should measure the string length from nut to bridge. 42" - 42.25" is about the longest length average people will tolerate.
    I have two 7/8 basses; the larger one has the shorter string length, and they both have string lengths associated with 3/4's.
  3. TT

Feb 14, 2001
    I agree with Don the 3/4 is the best size to go for jazz and classical music
  4. eirik

Jan 31, 2000
    ok guys, i'm a bit confused here, personally I have a 3/4 sized bass, and happy with it (love it!), but then i hear from "TT" that 3/4 are the best to go for jazz and classical. I use mine for jazz so that i can understand, but I thought that full sized ones are the thing for classical music. So I'm a bit confused. and if this is so (that 3/4 are the best for classical), what can you use full sized basses for i f not classical??? an answer would be very nice...and by the way, pardon my english, we northmen aren't so good in english!
  5. Full 4/4 basses are enormous and can't be used for much by most people. To say 3/4 or whatever is best for this or that isn't accurate either given their is no standard for what 3/4, or any other size for that matter, is. Most folks play basses that fall somewhere in what generally is considered the 3/4 size range, although I get the impression that 7/8 size basses are gaining some popularity. The reason 3/4 is most common, regardless of style of music, has mostly to do with the size of the people who play the bass. Even smallish basses are large and unwieldy in comparison to other instruments, they're the size of people for cryin' out loud! When selecting a bass one has to take into consideration its dimensions and whether or not he can "get around" the bass. Most folks can't get around a 4/4, but something in the 3/4 range suits them just fine. The size of the bass has nothing to do with the music.
  6. 4/4 basses are an excellent choice for firewood.

I say nobody can determine the size of a bass (3/4, 7/8, 4/4)from the volume of sound it produces.
  7. Maybe so, but I stand pretty tall when my 7/8 is undressed and everyone else is there with their 3/4's unable to avoid noticing how big and impressive mine is, despite any embarrassment they feel for looking. Sure, then people wish they had a full 4/4, if only for that

I suppose someone will say,"it's not the size of the bass, it's how you play it." And to them I say,"if ya got the size, and ya know what to do with..."
  8. You play bass in a locker room?
  9. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario

The size of the instrument does not determine what it's going to be used for. If you're 4'9" and want to play double bass you would probably need a 1/2 size bass. (I don't know where you would get that but ...) My mom has a custom made violin that is somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4. She is small, so 3/4 was too big for her. So, size is really a personal thing. It has nothing to do with the style you play or where you play...

When I get my upright I know I'll get a 3/4 because I don't even know if I can reach the top of the neck on a full sized bass.
  10. You might consider where the nut is with the endpin all the way in. I wouldn't want to play a bass with the nut higher than my eyebrows. My 7/8 bass is played with the end pin all the way in.