1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3/4 scale Fender Precision history

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clavo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. clavo

clavo

May 12, 2008
    South Texas
    I guess my question is.. Did Fender produce 3/4 scale Precisions?:confused:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, they made a shorter scale P in Japan back in the '80s for a few years. You see them on Ebay once in a while. Also I think one of the earliest "Bullet" basses was a USA short/medium scale P.

3. clavo

clavo

May 12, 2008
    South Texas
    Thnig is, I saw one today and the owner stated Fender produced 3/4 Precisions for awhile back in the day. :confused:Couldn't find any on-line facts, thus the Talkbass inquiry.
    Any idea of the general $$ range in today's bass market?

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Depends on the condition, but I see them go in the neighborhood of $500. (The US one might go for more depending on condition.)

5. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    my brother has an american made bullet guitar...cream in color....excellent condition...i hear they are somewhat rare

6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I believe the answer is No. The Bullet Bass was 32" scale (medium). I am not aware that Fender ever produced a 30" scale P-bass. They recently had a "Precision Bass Jr." that I believe was 28-3/4" scale (discontinued).

7. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    I'm not sure that Fender ever made a production 3/4 Precision. They made 32 inch scale on is the 80s. I think some of you may be thinking of that. But I'm not an expert.

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
  9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The thing is that "3/4 scale" is widely used to mean any shorter scale bass, not just 30".

10. 28.59". I'd love to find one but they all seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

11. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    I believe a shop near me has one or two in-stock. I can check when I go there tomorrow if you're interested.

12. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Right on man. Usually when I see a bass referred to as 3/4 scale they seem to be 30".

13. Definitely interested, thanks. Also see if they'd be adverse to shipping them.

'Preciate it!

Edit: Other than the small body size they have only a volume knob, no tone control, and they were available in red or black.

14. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Commercial User

May 14, 2008
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Owner, Gries Amplification
    Fender made at least one. shortscale.

15. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    My SX P style model with a few modifications.

16. texasgreg

texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Austintacious
    That is and is not correct, Dave. Here is a Bullet bass that is a 30" scale, however, although it has p-like pickups, it is similar to a mustang body.

Here's a link
    http://www.rockinrobinguitars.com/

Go to the basses page and it's on there.

The price is high but I can vouch for the owner's honesty. I've known Bart for many years, and played in his band earlier this decade, until I moved from Houston.

If he says the guitar is in as great of condition, you can believe that.

17. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    3/4 scale would be 25.5". That's just short of a Stratocaster guitar! (Take the 34" standard Fender long-scale and multipy by 0.75).

They made some basses with a 30" scale (most commonly called "short-scale) and some with a 32" scale (most commonly called "medium scale"). The Music Master, Mustang, short-scale Bullet were all 30". The Stu Hamm Urge was (is? if they still make it) 32". I do recall the shorter sized MIJ Precision, but I thought it was 32", but I'm probably wrong on that one.

But the only bass I've ever heard "3/4" being used is when refering to a double bass (upright, bass viol, doghouse, string bass...)

jte

jte

18. A US made Bullet?

I'd have to see that to believe it.

In the case of Bullet and Squier, Fender had no reason to make those brands in the US- It's not like they were ever established guitar brands before Fender acquired or created the name.

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  20. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    In the John Entwistle Bass Collection book, he has two of them; sunburst with rosewood fretboards. No other information other then the serial numbers and a picture. Actual fender Ps that look like they've been squished, kinda like a short scale SX P.