3/4" String Spacing at the Bridge!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Apr 17, 2005.

1. :cool: Would all you owners of various 5-string basses please do me a favor. Get a good ruler and measure the string spacing at the bridge. If your bass has 3/4" (0.75") string spacing, please let me know what the brand and model is. Thankyou very much.

I want to get another 5-string. However, I don't care for the narrow string spacing that is found on the majority of the 5-string basses that I've tried. I want a 5-string that uses the 3/4" spacing of my Fender P-Basses.

I've looked on a lot of the manufacturers websites and this is a specification that most do not provide.

Thank You all in advance!
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I've got 3/4" (19mm) on all my basses now... Sadowsky, Valenti, and soon my F-Bass BN6.
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    We use Hipshot A type bridge's on our Benavente's and LowEnd Jazz basses which is 19mm or 3/4 at the bridge as standard spacing. There are times someone request different but 19mm is standard. A lot fo the bass manufactures use this spacing, Smith, Elrick, Sukop, MTD, etc.

Good luck with your search,
  4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Warwick Streamer stage 1s
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    All Lakland 5's (including Skylines), all MTD 5's (including imported models), many Yamaha 5's, Ibanez BTB's, Warwicks with the wide neck option, Pedulla's with the 20mm spacing option, etc. etc.--those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There are lots of others, especially once you get into the higher price ranges or custom options.

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I think the last Smith bass I saw had an 18mm spacing. . .
  7. as far as i know most, if not all, 5 string brubakers have 19mm spacing, they are extremely nice basses
  8. Pedulla ThunderBass 5

Lightwave Sabre C

Both 3/4" at the bridge, 3/8" at the nut.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey USA Milleniums(discontinued:(), all Lakland fivers, most Fender fivers, Nordstrand, Dingwall...
  10. Fender Jazz 5s like mine have 3/4" or 19mm spacing. These often are reputed to have floppy B strings- not mine, though :smug:
    The two Smiths I had were not quite 3/4". I think you can upgrade to wider spacing.
    My reasonably-priced custom Stambaugh is 3/4".
  11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Yamaha TRB's have 19mm spacing all the way to their 6 string modfels. Except for the new Korean ones. No idea there.
  12. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Pedulla J2000. Butter in your hands!
  13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Pedullas are available with either 17.5 mm or 19 mm (3/4") string spacing - no 18 or 20 mm that has been erroneously posted.

However, I've mostly seen/played 19 mm models in stores because I believe the demand is higher for the wider spacing and thus is stocked more. Certainly, this thread lends credence to that theory.
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Bah! 17.5mm only for me!! :spit:
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Hey, don't spit on me! ;) I agree with you on the tighter spacing, and the day I'm able to purchase my dream Pedulla will be the day it comes with 17.5 mm. However, I'm simply reporting what I've noticed stores typically stock.

Don't spit on the messenger... :spit: :D
  16. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    used to have a 16.5 mm 5 stringer, it's nice for tapping and fast playing but slapping on it sucks.
    i love my pedulla pentabuzz's 19mm spacing...but it can kill your hands if you don't do warm ups before playing.
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Little correction Jeff, Dingwall's have 18mm spacing at the bridge on 5's and 6's, 19mm on 4's.

Skjold uses the same thing, 18mm for 5's and 6's, 19mm on 4's.
  18. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Your right Juneau, One thing to note is that a 18mm Hipshot Astyle can be adjusted to 19mm at the widest spread and 17mm at the narrowest. :cool:

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It all depends on the player. The 16,5-17mm spacing (adjustable) I currently have on my 6 is enough for slap & pop, and not yet too big a reach. My next one will have 17-17,5mm spacing.
    20 on a 6... not my kind of thing, thankyou ;)
  20. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    well, if you want to do the basic slap stuff you can on 16.5mm but it's more fun on 19mm...you can do double thumping and more progressive techniques.

but a sixer with 20mm will kill me for sure... :D