Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3/4" string spacing - give me examples

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Jan 3, 2005.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    what basses have a 3/4" string spacing? when I look at specs at most websites, they give me the spacing from the highest string to the lowest, not string to string.

thanks a lot guys!!

2. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    3/4" string spacing translates into 2 1/4" (from low string to high string) for a 4-string to 3" for a 5-string.

The MTD Kingston and Ibanez BTB405 are examples of basses with 3/4" string spacing.

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    As LA mentioned, 3/4" from string to string is std on all 4-string basses that I know of. There are a few companies such as F Bass, MTD, Nordstrand and other companies like those that have 3/4" (19mm) spacing. For the mass produced instruments, someone else will have to step in and inform us about them.

Are you looking for a 4 or 5-string bass? Maybe letting us know what budget you have so we can guide you towards something would be good too.

4. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    a 6-string! :hyper: :hyper:

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    4 string Pbass.

6. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Well, that narrows it down for sure. Most six string basses I am aware of are going to be 17-18mm. Not sure of anyone off the top of my head that does a six string in 3/4" (19mm) spacing although I'm sure someone does one but that's going to be pretty wide for a six string.

7. The Yamaha TRB's are 19mm IIRC. I know the John Patitucci sig. model is.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Fender, Sadowsky, MTD, etc

Rob

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Ibanez's BTB series has full 3/4" (19mm) string spacing on their six-strings, both of which are amazing values - the 406 as a "budget" sixer, and the 1006e as a multi-laminated, Bartolini-equipped, asymmetrical neck shaped "higher-end" bass.

10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I think just about every pre 2003 (ie, not those "new" TRB's) Yamaha has 19 mm spacing, be it a 4, 5 or 6 string.