3/4 vs 4/4, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ZombieGhosTrain, Jan 8, 2006.

1. I've been playing electric bass for a few years, and am looking into purchasing a double bass, mostly for rockabilly playing with alot of slapping. I've come across 3/4 and 4/4 scales, and i was wondering what would i base a decision on? I am about 6'5", that might be a factor?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Most basses are 3/4, with a 41.5"-42" string length.
  3. Double bass is one of the areas in which bigger doesn't automatically mean better. That's why there are so many 3/4's.
  4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    You probably want to go with a "standard" or 3/4 size. (As noted above, concentrate on scale length rather than the 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 designation.) The biggest advantage of a bigger-bodied bass is that it can project more volume acoustically. Since you are probably going to be playing amplified, you are more interested in resistence to feedback than maximum acoustic volume.
  5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The scale difference coming from EB is already going to be a pretty big adjustment, don't make it harder on yourself. I've come across very few people who play or have played a 4/4 bass.

And, I'd be remis if I didn't say "get a teacher". even if it's just for a few lessons to show you the traps of making the shift. It will save you a year of fooling around trying to figure out why you're never in tune and how come your hands keep cramping up.

Enjoy and welcome.