Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3/4 woohoo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I got my spiffy new 210XLT today (thanks, Gard) and after making a speaker cable, wired the thing up.

The rack's been sitting for a week waiting for something to drive - so I hooked up the cabinet, plugged in the Lakland, flipped a couple switches, turned a few knobs, and...

Nothing. Not a sound. No burps, hiccups, nothing.

So I turned a few more knobs and pushed some buttons and then remembered that the SVP-BSP I bought is a tube preamp and I waited a few more seconds and then played a couple notes.

Happy sounds started coming out of the 210XLT so I experimented a little more. It made more happy sounds.

So I turned it up. A lot.

I turned it up until the windows started rattling and the cat ran for cover (this is the same cat I used to test my spiffy new DTR-1 the other day - cat howls are mostly C# - she's remarkably consistent).

So - turned up about halfway on one channel I can hear a lot more than the fundamental. This setup is amazing.

Next week I'm ordering a 115XL to go on the other channel and then this stack will be a force to be reckoned with. That Peavey DPC1000 is a heck of a power amp so far - quiet and clean. I figure I'm getting maybe 325w per channel into 8 ohms but somehow I think that's gonna be enough. I can hear stuff coming out of the cabinet I never heard before - stuff other than fundamentals and this Eden cab doesn't lie - if your technique is sloppy it'll be obvious.

My technique is a little sloppy and it was obvious ;)

Like I told someone in PM, I think my eardrums are mostly scar tissue now and the woody might just be permanent :D

I'll post a pic after I put the 15" underneath the 2x10.

cheers,

allan

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Don't EVER do that to me again! :eek: :D I always worry about that happening after UPS gets to play pitch-n-catch with our shipments....:(

Anyhow, I'm mighty glad it made it safe and sound, and even happier to have created a happy bassist! My job here is almost done...hmm...D-115XL...:D

3. Gard said...

Don't EVER do that to me again! :eek: :D I always worry about that happening after UPS gets to play pitch-n-catch with our shipments....:(

Anyhow, I'm mighty glad it made it safe and sound, and even happier to have created a happy bassist! My job here is almost done...hmm...D-115XL...:D

Sorry, Gard :D

I am now a confirmed PayPal hater. The $ from the Cirrus auction made it into my PayPal account today (the buyer paid with a PayPal eCheck) - it'll probably be another three or four damn working days before it makes it into my bank account and I give you a call.

Anyway, thanks again for the great service (and the great price). Talk to you Monday or so.

allan

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :eek: :eek:

5. Josh said...

That sounds like an awesome rig.

Thanks - it's a better rig than I am a bassist :)

I'd love to hear that pre (it's the Sheehan model, right?). I've heard good things about it.

Yep - I'm not finished turning knobs and pushing buttons yet but so far I'm pretty impressed with the preamp. I haven't found much use for the overdrive channel yet but the clean channel is pretty neat.

cheers,

allan

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Congratulations Allan! :) Think some good thoughts for me now as I try to grab me a nice power amp deal!