1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3/4 woohoo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I got my spiffy new 210XLT today (thanks, Gard) and after making a speaker cable, wired the thing up.

The rack's been sitting for a week waiting for something to drive - so I hooked up the cabinet, plugged in the Lakland, flipped a couple switches, turned a few knobs, and...

Nothing. Not a sound. No burps, hiccups, nothing.

So I turned a few more knobs and pushed some buttons and then remembered that the SVP-BSP I bought is a tube preamp and I waited a few more seconds and then played a couple notes.

Happy sounds started coming out of the 210XLT so I experimented a little more. It made more happy sounds.

So I turned it up. A lot.

I turned it up until the windows started rattling and the cat ran for cover (this is the same cat I used to test my spiffy new DTR-1 the other day - cat howls are mostly C# - she's remarkably consistent).

So - turned up about halfway on one channel I can hear a lot more than the fundamental. This setup is amazing.

Next week I'm ordering a 115XL to go on the other channel and then this stack will be a force to be reckoned with. That Peavey DPC1000 is a heck of a power amp so far - quiet and clean. I figure I'm getting maybe 325w per channel into 8 ohms but somehow I think that's gonna be enough. I can hear stuff coming out of the cabinet I never heard before - stuff other than fundamentals and this Eden cab doesn't lie - if your technique is sloppy it'll be obvious.

My technique is a little sloppy and it was obvious ;)

Like I told someone in PM, I think my eardrums are mostly scar tissue now and the woody might just be permanent :D

I'll post a pic after I put the 15" underneath the 2x10.

cheers,

allan

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Don't EVER do that to me again! :eek: :D I always worry about that happening after UPS gets to play pitch-n-catch with our shipments....:(

Anyhow, I'm mighty glad it made it safe and sound, and even happier to have created a happy bassist! My job here is almost done...hmm...D-115XL...:D

3. Gard said...

Don't EVER do that to me again! :eek: :D I always worry about that happening after UPS gets to play pitch-n-catch with our shipments....:(

Anyhow, I'm mighty glad it made it safe and sound, and even happier to have created a happy bassist! My job here is almost done...hmm...D-115XL...:D

Sorry, Gard :D

I am now a confirmed PayPal hater. The $ from the Cirrus auction made it into my PayPal account today (the buyer paid with a PayPal eCheck) - it'll probably be another three or four damn working days before it makes it into my bank account and I give you a call.

Anyway, thanks again for the great service (and the great price). Talk to you Monday or so.

allan

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :eek: :eek:

5. Josh said...

That sounds like an awesome rig.

Thanks - it's a better rig than I am a bassist :)

I'd love to hear that pre (it's the Sheehan model, right?). I've heard good things about it.

Yep - I'm not finished turning knobs and pushing buttons yet but so far I'm pretty impressed with the preamp. I haven't found much use for the overdrive channel yet but the clean channel is pretty neat.

cheers,

allan

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Congratulations Allan! :) Think some good thoughts for me now as I try to grab me a nice power amp deal!