3 bass poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Dec 21, 2003.

Which one ?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2004.
  1. Fbass BN5

29 vote(s)
  2. Roscoe 5

19 vote(s)
  3. Stingray 5

27 vote(s)
  1. OK: Vote on these 3 basses. Don't worry about what you think MY personal preference maybe. This is me asking for your personal fave.
  2. I'm a big F-bass fan, don't own one but someday, someday a BN5 will be mine.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stingray. *drool* A stingray 4-banger will be my next bass..dont know when that will be though.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! Can't go wrong with the first two. Stingrays aren't quite in the same league, but they are nice too.

My choice would be Roscoe.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The first two are defintley in a different league. I prefer the Roscoe overall, but there are things that I prefer better with the Fbass. One thing is for certain, I'll always like to own a Roscoe in my arsenal.
  6. I'd go for the f bass, and I agree that the ray will be destroyed by either of those. And will also cost twice as much. They f and roscoe that is.
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    tough one, man.

SR5 isn't like the other two bolt-on mentioned. Good bass to have in the arsenal, either way.

I like the finger punchy jazz-feel and tone of an F. The Roscoe has a very articulate, clear tone and the B is real solid.

I personally think that the F might be more flexible, I like the way the controls are laid out... Wished it had a full 24 frets on the 5 string fretted models.
  8. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Love the Stingray. Great bass IMO

Own a Custom BN5 and SKB3005

No comparing the two. They both have their pluses and minus. It depends on what YOU are looking for.

I find after playing Roscoes for 8 years and F Bass for about 12. The F for ME is more versatile and organic. The F is very 70ish Fendery which I love. George has a formula for his basses and it it is rare you find a dog. Roscoes .... The B string from hell !!! Cuts like a knife through a mix. Keith does some really cool azz combo's with fingerboard woods and tops. More so than George.

Can't go wrong with none of the three. Screw it. Buy one. Save. Buy the other, Save, Buy the other. You'll have all three before you know it.
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    do you slap a lot? are you into the Marcus Miller sound? if so, fo F bass.. if you are primarily fingrtstyle player, the punch and lo b of a Roscoe is unreal..
    Roscoe: more modern and tight
    F Bass: Jazz on steriods and killin slap and growl
    Musicman: great bass, but a one trick pony

mis dos centavos ;)
  10. I don't know Roscoes but i have an F bass and have played many SR5.F bass is mucho mejor.
  11. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Stingray 5 is a one trick pony like a Precision is a one trick pony.
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Since Adrian decided to jump in here, I may as well too. While I can't comment to F Basses, I can say that I have been extremely impressed with the craftsmanship, tone, and verstility of the Roscoe. The B string on a Roscoe is extremely focused and tight, and while it is a great slapper, it is an absolute MONSTER for deep, rich, thick fingerstyle playing. I had a local guy try a Roscoe for the first time last week and he was absolutely blown aways at how thick, punchy, and clear the tone was without sounding "fake" or "processed" as many active basses tend to be. All three choices are excellent...it really just depends on your personal style. However, with Roscoe, you are guaranteed a top-notch bass with respect to playability, aesthetics, and TONE! :D ;)
  14. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I hate to disagree with you. But, Roscoe great Slapper? Has Keith come up with something I have not played?? Roscoes are great finger style basses. If you are looking for a primo slap bass (I hate that term).If you are looking for something to thump, get the Stingray or the F.

I love my Roscoe. But if I get a call to use my thumb It is gonna stay at home.

At the end of the day it is your choice. What your ears dig and what your pocket can afford;)
  15. My choice would be Roscoe.

16. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Personal opinions will vary, but I certainly don't think that Roscoe basses have a poor slap tone, nor are they completely unusable for any playing style other than fingerstyle playing. However, I do agree that for most players and in most situations, they are probably better suited for players who favor a thick, low-mid fingerstyle approach as to someone who is looking for a scouped-mid, trebly, cutting tone for slapping, tapping, etc. Nevertheless, in my opinion, they're a great all-around bass, and I'm sure there are countless Roscoe fanatics out there who feel the same about their instruments. :)
  17. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    No where did you see me say a Roscoe has a POOR slap tone. I just dont have a GREAT slap tone.

If I did not dig Roscoes I would not own one and certainly would not for as long as I have owned mine.

Just in my opinion if I had to pick one of the three for feel and tone it would be number 3. If bro had more choices I may have picked neither of the three.

Just my opinion. Again, his ears, his hand, his pockets.

Actually my favorite thump'n basses look more like what is next to Trina
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The Roscoe would be my first choice.... Beautiful "B"s on those..