1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 basses - 3 quick reviews

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Feb 26, 2008.

1. This past weekend I traded my EBMM Sterling to Baird6869 for his Geddy Lee Jazz. I had never played a GL before so I thought maybe I should see what I was getting myself into. I ended up visiting 3 different stores and played 3 very different basses. Here are some very quick reviews based on playing each of them for 10 to 15 minutes.

My main bass is a Ric 4003; just so it's up front what I play.

First stop I played a new Geddy Lee. Could not plug it in as the store was busy as heck and the salesman was busy. First impression was it was a bit heavier than I was used to but nothing that would make me regret my trade. I love the neck. It was very fast and the one I played had very low action. Very thin top to bottom and front to back. I know that is not news to most of TB but just saying. I am not a technical guy but IMO you have to like laminated necks to really love this bass. I guess maybe that's why I hear of people sanding their GL necks? :meh: Rics are laminated so I am used to it and loved it. I thought the bass was well balanced. The tuners seemed nice and tight, not rattling around. Sticker price was $850 (no case) and knowing the store I was at that would be what you would pay.

Second stop I played a Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude - black with a white pick guard. DId not plug it in. I noticed the weight of this bass right away. This is a big bass. It is not a light bass but I could get used to it. (I did not notice neck dive while trying it out but from reading about it here on TB I guess that is an issue)The neck was fatter from top to bottom than I am used to but front to back it seemed pretty comfortable. I have small hands and I loved playing this bass! The neck had a more natural wood feel to it but even with my small hands it did not feel slow and awkward. I am not sure what to make of the scalloped frets. Not sure if I quite understand the point of them but I did like the fret board markers. The one thing I did not like about it was the 2 inputs being on the front of the body. Maybe logistically they have to be there but to me it takes away from the looks of the bass. I would buy this bass based on the feel of it although I would obviously plug it in before forking over the $1710 sticker price (with case). On side note the salesmen at the stores I visited were complaining that their stores were dry and the frets and necks of their products were being effected. I really noticed this on the Billy Sheehan. You could feel the frets sticking out when you slid up and down the bottom and the top of the neck. Weird but I am assuming they will calm down once the humidity goes back up. I am also guessing the Billy Sheehan was most effected because it's neck was the least laminated of the 3 I tried. :meh:

At the third store I visited I played a B.C.Rich Heritage Classic Mockingbird. I plugged this one in although it was only into a practice amp. I have always liked the looks of these basses. This one was the reddish color not the black. I had heard there is a neck dive problem but that did not bother me too much. The upper back part of the bass seemed to be in an awkward spot when trying to find a spot to rest your arm/hand for playing with fingers. I did not notice it as much when using a pick. I liked the neck. Seemed a little slower than the other 2 basses I played on this day but I like neck-through-body basses. It is fatter top to bottom than the Geddy but front to back did not seem to be terribly fat. Again the neck seems to be a pretty heavily laminated but I like that. Tuners seemed solid and IMO there is no weight issue at all. Seemed pretty light to me. I would have try this again through a full size amp but I think for $700 (no case) it is a decent deal.

All in all........I am most surprised by how much I liked the Billy Sheehan for a bigger heavier bass.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Great read. Thanks for the reviews!

3. Good info. I just got a Geddy a few weeks ago and love it. It does seem heavier than other jazz basses though.