3 Choices for Amps - Please Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Jan 3, 2006.

1. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently making a list of stuff to buy and I'm looking at getting an Amp.

I hope to be getting a 2x12 4ohm cab from Music Supply Center or if I can get it wired for 8ohm, then I may opt for the 8ohm.

Anyway, I don't want to spend more than about $350 (closer to $300 would be ideal).

I play mainly Jazz and some classic rock/current rock in a trio (Drums and Guitar)at this moment. I currently have a Trace Elliot Commando 15 100w w/ 200w peak that I have to crank up the gain and volume to almost max to hear myself.

I love Marcus Miller's tone and that's what I try to go for when slapping. If I'm playing supportive stuff, then I like a little more on the full side.

I play a MIM Fender Deluxe V (BEADG) and an Ibanez Ex Series 5 string (EADGC) with EMG pickups/BTC circuit @ 18v.

I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.

Behringer 450w
    GK Backline 600
    Used Peavey 300-450w (Nitrobass and the like)

I'm leaning a little more towards a used Nitrobass since I can get another 4ohm cab and run the full 450w at 2ohm. What I'm afraid is buying used gear.

I tried the Backline 600 and I was pretty happy with it. The Guitar Center had it hooked up to the mix and match system and I was a little worried that it didn't have the amount of oomph I thought it would. Then I found that the cab I had selected was a 8ohm so in theory it would be louder running a 4ohm load.

I haven't had a chance to try a Behringer, but from what I've read and what not, it may be ok, but still would like to try it.

Anybody have any feedback, suggestions, alternative ideas and whatnot when I'm looking again or if I try used gear?

I don't buy gear very often and everything I do, it's like I'm doing it for the first time again.

Thanks very much!
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Get the Peavey!
  3. I would personally avoid behringer and the GK backline stuff (never used the GK stuff, but apparently the backline range isnt good)

For $300 im sure you could pick up a peavey firebass/max700 head, thats 700 watts at 2 ohms, LOUD :D , I wouldnt be too worried about the peavey stuff second hand, they are like tanks :)
  4. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Maybe you could have them put one of those Accugroove switches on it... :D

For what you're willing to spend, I'd lose your fear of used gear...you'll do better. I'd look for a nice old V-4 to match up that 2x12, but that's just me.
  5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I would avoid Behringer too if possible, I have no problem buying anything from them but I played a 300W head with a 210 cab and disliked it plenty. In your price range, it seems that the best way to look is the used market.
  6. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    First of all,

Thanks very much everyone! I appreciate the info and the time.

I believe you have successfully moved me away from the first two choices. :)

Again, any input on what to watch out for while looking for used equipment would be appreciated.

If I can't find a Nitro, I'm thinking about the following:

A Peavey Mark VIII (used) or a new Ashdown Mag 300H

Thanks very much!
  7. Glad they steered you away from your first two options. I like the Nitro Bass and the Fire Bass from Peavey and I have an Ashdown Mag. I think either would work for you, but I would prefer the Ashdown for jazz and the Peavey for rock. I don't have any experience with the Peavey Mark VIII, but everything I've ever owned by Peavey has been a workhorse and some have been industry leaders.
  8. Have you considered buying used? I've seen a few SWR Bass 350's on sale within your price range. I've had mine (pre-Fender version) for a few years and it's a nice sounding, dependable amp. I believe SWR has said that it can handle 2 ohms. Hope you find what you're lookin' for.
  9. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003

Thanks! It sounds like the Mark VIII is older than the Nitro, so maybe just for that reason, I may just opt for a Nitro if possible.

Sounds good on the Ashdown. They will be pretty close power wise, so we'll see.

Yeah, that's what I'm considering, other than a new Ashdown. Looks like I'll just have to do some investigating on other brands around my price range. I've just heard many good things on Peavey.

I appreciate it very much guys!
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yup - don't shy away from used Peavey amps - they ARE built like the proverbial tank, and in the unlikely event that you do run into a problem with one, they're not difficult to fix... I'm currently using a Mark VIII I bought used, and it's a nice head - lots of tonal variety, and PLENTY of clean power... I've also had a Mark III, Mark VI, and a Combo 300 - all bought used, and the ONLY trouble I ever had was a blown capacitor on the Combo 300, which I fixed for about $2... I gigged with all of them, and they all held up remarkably well - for the musician on a budget, used Peavey gear is the way to go, IMO...

- georgestrings