Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 Demo Recordings from Jaco--1974

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Anyone wanna hear Jaco playing some classics 3 years before his first album came out? OF COURSE YOU DO! This is so sweet, it's 1974 demo takes of him playing Continuum, Havona, and a song called Time Lapse (I guess it was cut from the album in the end, but it kicks ass!). They also have a link for the Balloon Song, but when I click that, I get the same thing as when I click Time Lapse (if you don't get this problem, PLEASE PM me so I can have a listen!!). It's really cool to hear these songs before they were really perfected for the albums, really good stuff. Just follow this link and scroll down a bit, Enjoy!
    http://xanaxtaxi.blogspot.com/2005/08/jaco-pastorius-criteria-recording-demo.html

2. Cool stuff man! Thanks for the link

3. No problem, stuff like this needs to get out to the fans. So many good songs that never made it to an official release. I've seen a picture of a hand-written track list for his first solo album, the song Time Lapse was on the list, as well as another mystery song called Microcosm but I'm still hunting that one down.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    save target works
    cheers man :bassist:

5. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    That was awesome!!!

Time Lapse man!! How can anyone question this man's talent?

6. Xanax Taxi

Xanax Taxi

Aug 17, 2005
    Who was questioning Jacos talent?

7. Believe it or not, I've heard people do it. (guitar player)

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Amazing. If you're under 40, I wonder if you can imagine what a kick in the head it was to hear him in the mid-1970's.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice posting of recordings, thanks.

10. thejimfactor

thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    Did those files expire? I can't seem to download them.

11. I'd really like to hear these....
    For those of you who don't know: Alex Darquie lived in the same stairway as Jaco, and they practised ALOT together during those years. That was how Jaco got heavily into bop and jazz.

12. Xanax Taxi

Xanax Taxi

Aug 17, 2005
    you can still download the songs. But this is the last day. Good luck.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Some of these tracks are on the boxed set : "Portrait of Jaco - the early years" - which has a nice booklet as well. :)

14. A piece that every JAco fan should have!

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah, ain't that the truth!

16. I've heard nothing but great things about Portrait of Jaco. I haven't got myself a copy yet, but I know there will be another release of rare/early years stuff. It's pretty much the same stuff as Portrait of Jaco just without the interviews/talking, nothing but rare Jaco music. I might just wait for that.

17. Bruce Lindfield

I was happy to buy a set where the money made went to Jaco's family - I think they went through enough and got very little out of his great legacy - they deserve this! :)

18. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Does the family not get royalties from his other recordings?

19. Bruce Lindfield

A lot of the bootlegs and live recordings were "bought up" by 'businessmen' for very little at the time and no money goes to the family from these.