Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 Different Hartke's...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've decided to forego the Eden WT400 (for financial reasons) and I have made my mind up to go with one of following three Hartke's.

4000 - 400 watts, wide parametric EQ with D-Bass (for very low end EQ-ing) and a tuner out with mute switch.

3500 - Classic Hartke Bass head, 350 watts, with 10 band graphic EQ.

5500 - The new Hartke head based on the 3500, but with 500 watts and it's own case with an extra one rack space for an additional one rack device.

Has anyone tried the new 5500? If anyone has used any of these amps, any info or opinions on any, or all, of these three would be appreciated. I will be ordering it this week. I have done alot of research into these heads and I've played through the Hartke 3000 and 3500's in the past (but never owned them).

I'm not relying on your opinions, but they are helpful. If you've had or played through them, please let me know, in detail, the sound you got (along with what cabs you've played them through) and your likes and/or dislikes.

Thanks!

GAS about to be relieved!!!

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    the 4000 model has transistor preamp.
    The 3500 and the 5500 have a tube preamp.

If the tuner out line is important to you, keep in mind that some tuner can cut your sound when you use them and they can be put in the effects loop.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The tuner out is not that important to me...sound is, volume is. I can get a very good sound with my Cirrus, through damn near anything. But I'm looking for features that allow me to tailor the bass for a given room (i.e.- EQ-ing).

I realize the 4000 does not use tubes, but that is not that important either. I do like the sound of tube amps, but I've played through alot of SS amps that sounded great too. It's more about the sum of the parts rather than any one individual thing.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Ok so the 3500 is a nice amp, it has guts enought for gigs with PA. I think you can do the difference between 350 and 500W?

According to the 4000, I never played it !

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've played through a 3000 and it was a nice amp...but it did not have the control over the sound the way the 4000 does. The 4000 has a wider range of sound control.

Of course the 3500/5500 has the ability to blend some tube sound into the mix...and also the 10 band EQ would probably give me a little more flexibility in attenuating bad frequncies in a given room. I like the idea of having 500 watts...more for headroom than anything else, as the difference between 350 and 500 watts is not so great volume-wise.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Has anyone played through, or owned a 2000, 3000 or 4000 and also the 3500 at one point?

I'm interested in hearing what specifically the differences are between the SS of the 4000 (or 2/3000) and the tube blend of the 5500 (or 3500).

I think I'm either going to get the 4000 or 5500, but I'd like to know if anyone knows for sure what the main sound differences are between the two types of Hartke's.

7. If you do a search for Hartke 3500 you'll find a ton of threads. I answered two just last week.
    Thats said, I 've used the 3500 for almost 10yrs. Its been a great workhorse amp. It gets plenty loud and has enuf tone shapin to keep me happy.
    As for the tube vs solid state sound. Personally, I've not noticed much tube warmth in the tube section, its does sound a bit different tone wise than using all solid state, but to me its not buttery or wooly or fat. What i find most useful, it the tone shaping abilities of the head, the graphic eq is easy to see and very useful (althou it does add hiss), and the post contour knobs i find important to dial in bad room acoustics. The compressor=PU, its squashes the heck out of your signal.
    Since the 5500 is a more powerful version of the 3500 eithe rof these would be good.
    Lastly, i've played some good sized places and honestly i don't think i've turned the head up past 5 or 6. The head is loud. My band played a club w/ about 100-150 people last week an i had it set on 3.
    frank

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've done so many searches in the past two weeks for anything and everything I can find on Hartke.

I've come up with mostly positive feedback on the 3500. I've had only one thing come up on the 4000.

While the 4000 looks interesting there is just not enough info to make a judgement beyond what a friend's 3000 sounded like. It was alright, nothing fantastic...but I used his cheap no name bass also (and I know my bass sounds damn good through almost anything...yet $500 is alot of money to spend without making an informed decision...and trying out a 5500 in person is not an option, so...).

The 4000 has more features (more control over the sound) than the 3000, so it seemed interesting.

I was interested in the 3500, but the new 5500 looks more like what I want in wattage and it comes with it's own case, with an extra one rack space in it.

Yes, I've seen all the reviews and opinions on the 3500...I mainly wanted to know if anyone has actually played through both, the 4000 and the 3500/5500. Seems I, myself, am the only one who has...well it was a 3000 and a 3500 anyway.

From what I remembered of the 3500 it seemed warmer sounding than the 3000...but I haven't had a chance to actually compare the 4000 and 5500 side by side, so I'm just searching for answers from anyone who wishes to share them.

It's looking more and more like the 5500 is the front-runner. It's not like I want to waste anyone's valuable forum space (and I don't want to run the same old "this vs. that" post...but if I were sitting down talking with a bunch of bass players, I'd be picking their brains about this...which is why I'm here. :)

I just want to know if anyone has opinions on the differences between Hartke's line...the *000's and the *500's (mainly the 4000 and 5500) if they had any.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was planning to upgrade to the 4000 but that 5500 is looking pretty good. As I stated in the other thread, I'm not particularly fond of expanded eq sections but I could sacrifice for this one. I'd like to see a 500w Hartke amp setup like the 4000. Just gimme bare bones! Anyone know what the price is on that 5500??

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    $570.00 is the cheapest I saw it.

Samson updated their website only today with the 5500 info, so it is very new.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I found the Bass Player mag review of the Hartke 4000.

After swaying back and forth like a leaf in a tornado..I think I'm going to order the Hartke 4000 bass amp. It seems solidly built, good reviews...no bad comments about reliability, alot of favorable comments on tone (particularly how it handles the bottom end...specifically the low B, which I need).

And it is a simple straight forward kind of amp.

Thanks to all for your input over the last couple of weeks (that includes all of you pushing for the Eden, which almost won me over)...you've helped me make up my own mind. :)

I'll let you know how it sounds (to me). :)