3 finger plucking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tyler Dupont, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Hey guys, I've been practising this 3 finger plucking technique(jaco type stuff- teen town mainly). I can get it going so it sounds steady and not sounding like triplets.. but the problem is I keep getting harmonics coming out. It sounds good when I play with the headphones but when I turn my amp up the harmonics are loud and it wrecks the effect. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be helpful.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    This is why you need a teacher. :) If I saw you play I think I could point it out immediately, but since I can't things get more complicated...

However, I think it is one of the three fingers that's "in the way" of the other when you pluck - e.g. when you pluck with your ring finger, your index finger might still rest on the string so you create an artificial harmonic.

As always, practice slowly at first, so it is easer to see (and hear) what you're doing wrong. Increase speed gradually.
  3. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Thanks Oysterman ... After posting and not getting responses I took a good look at what I was doing.. that is exactly the problem .. fingers still resting on the strings while notes are being played. I realized that I need to follow through a bit more on each finger to get rid of the harmonics... but the thing being .. if I let the notes ring longer I lose that bouncey 16th effect.. and if I don't .... harmonics. I never thought adding the 3rd finger would require such refining.