3 finger RH technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassduder, Mar 13, 2002.

1. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    hello all,

i was wondering about how you patternize your right hand fingers to work for patterns...no one getting me?...well say if i just play a C major scale going from C on the A string to C on the G string...would it be like this:

3 2 1 3 2 3 2 1
    3 2 3 2 1 3 2 1

hopefully that tab will come out good in the post, other than that, if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated...I think my main problem is I keep going back between Sheehan's 3 finger tech. and Alderete's 2 finger tech. ha

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Most people who use the ring finger use it for triplets, from what I gather.

There's also "hang ten" I believe it's called, where you use all 4 of your fingers.

I was forced to play with my ring finger and pointer finger for a couple months, because I pulled the tendon off the bone in my middle finger, and had a splint on it.

It REALLY helped me build up the muscle in my ringer finger. :)
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I usually use 321321, but not as a strict pattern.

E.g. when I have to switch from A to D string I just drag a finger across (raking), so I play two notes in one motion.

So for your example it would be:

3 2_2 1 3_3 2 1

X_X means that that finger plays two consecutive notes in one motion
  4. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    When I solo..I use three fingers..and a very light touch.. Makes me sound really fast...which I am but you know what I mean.