1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3 finger RH technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassduder, Mar 13, 2002.

1. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    hello all,

i was wondering about how you patternize your right hand fingers to work for patterns...no one getting me?...well say if i just play a C major scale going from C on the A string to C on the G string...would it be like this:

g-----------------2--4--5--
    d--------2--3--5-----------
    a--3--5--------------------
    e--------------------------
    3 2 1 3 2 3 2 1
    or
    3 2 3 2 1 3 2 1

hopefully that tab will come out good in the post, other than that, if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated...I think my main problem is I keep going back between Sheehan's 3 finger tech. and Alderete's 2 finger tech. ha

thanks

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Most people who use the ring finger use it for triplets, from what I gather.

There's also "hang ten" I believe it's called, where you use all 4 of your fingers.

I was forced to play with my ring finger and pointer finger for a couple months, because I pulled the tendon off the bone in my middle finger, and had a splint on it.

It REALLY helped me build up the muscle in my ringer finger. :)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I usually use 321321, but not as a strict pattern.

E.g. when I have to switch from A to D string I just drag a finger across (raking), so I play two notes in one motion.

So for your example it would be:

3 2_2 1 3_3 2 1

X_X means that that finger plays two consecutive notes in one motion

4. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    When I solo..I use three fingers..and a very light touch.. Makes me sound really fast...which I am but you know what I mean.