3 Finger Technique...E String Problems?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassduder, Mar 25, 2002.

1. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    ok, well ive modeled my right hand technique similar to billy sheehans and john myungs, but whenever i play the E string, i rest my thumb on the pickup and it will either go through and hit the pickup, or hit the body of the bass...is this bad technique or what?

also, another question thats been somewhat boggling the mind is can somone explain to me what Jaco-fingerstyle is?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Practise, practise and to top it off, practise. I once had trouble with that style, but now i use it when i play triplets. It was hard but i got there by....practise..!! ;)
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You probably dig in with your fingers too much.

Try using a lighter touch. Pluck the only with the tip of your fingers.
  4. Yes, definitely lighten up.

I use a three-finger style, but mine is like Gary Willis'; I never use my ring finger on the lowest string (in my case, the B). I also play very lightly with low action. My tone isn't very cutting, but that's what EQ is for.
  5. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    try some exercises to go from a string to another

when i have my 4 string was very hard to do the same thing, the E string was not as solid as the D or A but if you do patterns will help you a lot

in the progresive bass concepts john myung explains the technique that he uses

try to do some pentatonic scales with the 3 finguers that will help you a lot

and for the 3 finger use this pattern

321 and 3212(for go down fo another string)
    in www.stevedigiorgio.com

steve explain this technique

try also do scales in 2 string with the 2 and 3 finguer so they can be as fast as you 1 , 2 techinique

any questions im glad to help you