3 Finger Technique: necessary?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by coolsnow7, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
  2. No

11 vote(s)
  3. Kinda

8 vote(s)
  1. coolsnow7

Feb 22, 2004
    I like to play and listen to thrash/death metal. Some of the truly accomplished bassists - Steve DiGiorgio (Sadus, Death, Testament), Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) - use 3 fingers with their right hand. Is it really necessary? can you go just as fast with only 2?
  2. I don't really listen to that kind of music, so I'm not sure how fast those guys play, but I know that it's possible to play extremely fast with only two fingers.
  3. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Steve Harris plays with two fingers..
  5. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    but he's famous for his galloping bass lines, easier done with three.
  6. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I think what it really comes down to is that no one technique is truly "necessary". I mean, I know plenty of guys that do killer funk without slapping and popping. I know plenty of people that use picks for things that are usually looked at as finger tech. and vice-versa.

I think what it all really comes down to is what works for you. I mean, there are lots of bass players that I admire, but would never try to emulate their playing technique because it's not comfortable for me as a player. Using a 3 finger technique does allow for some really well done and very fast basslines, but some people can do it just as weel and are mor comfortable using just 2 fingers. Just my opinion. :)
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    3 fingers may hold the pick better than only 2...
  8. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    I normally only play with 2 fingers. Also use ur thumb sometimes for the bottom string. i dont think 3 is necessary for most basslines.