1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 fingers has opened up a whole new world

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Feb 24, 2008.

1. i recently started doing 3 finger gallops or triplets and i have to say it has opened up wonders for what im playing. I have come up w/ so many cool things..i just need to pratice it a bit more cause i still dont get the clear triplet/gallop sound:bassist::bassist::bassist:

just thought id share my experience..now back to practiceing!! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    Thats great,,, practice does make perect... I would also suggest that you practice playing groups of consistant 4 with your 3 fingers as well... I was locked into triplets for awhile and it took me forever to break that habit..
    just a thought.

3. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
  4. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    +100

I just started out 1 month ago, breaking the triplets into quartets with 3 fingers, I hope it'll be smooth some day, I'm making progress!

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I've tried. Still need to get my ring finger independent from my middle finger.

6. rooted

rooted

Feb 3, 2005
    Corona, CA
    It feels like the middle finger and ring finger maybe share some muscles on me. I've been working on getting those fingers to work independently for years, and they still are somewhat linked together like the pinky and ring finger. The exercise mentioned above is a great one especially when worked into a bass line where the same finger doesn't hit the same note or string consistently (on the pluck hand).

7. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    Here is a very simple approach to 3 finger... you may get an idea from it...I made this video for a student.
    like I said it is very simple.

8. three fingers is always the way ;)

9. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    just imagine how you would feel if you added your thumb... euphoria:smug:

10. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    just imagine how you would feel if you added your thumb, and your pinky... euphoria + 1 :smug:

11. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Which is quickly diminished when you realized your right hand muting technique has been severely weakened.

12. +1

13. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    3 fingers all the way :)

try playing scales with 3 fingers. it really helps.

14. Back in my younger days, I used three fingers and on occasion the thumb for the low-E, anchoring the whole mess with the pinky. You can still palm mute this way.
    It ios similar to fingerstyle guitar, and I only used this method for occasional runs, but it was pretty interesting.
    I'd recommend trying chords instead of scales for practice-I have had very good experiences with this method.

mark

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Thought this thread was about your gf :smug:

anyways, yes i use 3 fingys on occasion, but i dont see them practical for playing everything. thats just me though!

16. Slain

Slain

May 23, 2007
    Australia
    After you've developed a strong third finger you'll crave for more and want to use your pinky, I guarantee it.

USE A METRONOME!

17. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    only if you dont know how to mute with it

18. Dosed_Mind

Dosed_Mind

May 21, 2006
    Denmark
    I dont know if its just the music i listen to, but it seems to me that 3-fingerstyle isnt that widely used. If so, is there any particular reason for this? It seems stupid to me to not use atleast one more finger if it improves your speed.

No threadjacking intended:)

19. Partly because of tradition, and partly because it isn't a significant speed boost to warrant most players switching. There's lots of players that play with two fingers just as fast or faster than some three finger players. And unless you're getting into stuff like hardcore or metal then most songs are going to be at a manageable speed for two or three fingers.