Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SKB, Aug 22, 2001.

1. SKB

SKB Guest

I play with 3 fingers occasionally and it doesnt sound how i want it to. It sounds kind of gappy and not like I expected. Does anyone else play like this sometimes?

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I try to use 4 fingers but the rythem between my middle and ring finger is quicker than the rest. So I guess its time to pull out the metronome...

3. Kingdom Fallen

Kingdom Fallen

Jul 10, 2001
    Omaha, NE
    I suggest just playing slowely & getting comfortable with it. You also need to take time to practice with your third finger as to build up it's strength, so you playing doesn't sound so "weak - not so strong - strong - weak - not so strong - strong".

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Practise with changing the accent around, so that you get control and can accent the 'one' when playing 4/4.
    The one will be on a different finger every time, since it's 3 against 4. Try to overemphasize the one to get used to it.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I play with three fingers.

Like everything else in the entire world for everyone....you have to practice a skill to improve it

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Slow, even playing with a metronome... lots and lots of it. GRADUALLY (emphasis on gradually) increase the tempo. If you can't play it slow, no matter what you THINK you can do, you can't play it fast. Once it's nice and even slow, it will be nice and even fast.

7. I hurt my middle finger once, and for about a week, I used My first and ring finger....It now feels totally natural to me. I can now use any two of the three equally...why? I dunno, maybe it will help out with stamina and endurance. I rarley feel the need to use all three at once though...

8. SKB

SKB Guest

I play 3-2-1-3-2-1. Is this how im supposed to play with 3 fingers?? :confused:

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Billy Sheehan does it that way. And it's the natural way IMO.

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I dont know if there is a proper way to play with 3 or more fingers. Ive read stuff about guys who use 3 or more fingers and some use really wierd patterns.

11. I use 3 or more fingers, but I don't use any particular pattern. Patterns vary depending on what it is you're trying to play. (Well, that's how it works for me anyway.)

12. I use three fingers for pretty much everything but fast metal lines. Usually, I use the Gary Willis method, and only use the ring when crossing strings upward. Sometimes, though, I go 3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2 etc. This puts a bit too much stress on the middle finger, though, so I'm going to try to teach myself to use my pinky.

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I can't use three, i can't keep the rythem going, i just play with 2, or a pic