1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 For 3 (tryouts)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully43, Oct 16, 2006.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Just need to get this out. Maybe a few of you Tbers have seen or helped me thru my bands problems i posted here Too Loud and Rant on my band last week or so.

I put out a craigslist add to see whats up got one responce from one of the areas top blues bands they gig 6-8 times a month:eek: and work? No thanks ..plus they are all sight readers and show up and play...nope not me:smug:

A friend from a local band e- mails me and asks if i was intrested in his drummers side project a Female fronted band bass,drum,guitar and her on vocals...i said yea and he contacted the drummer who wanted to give me a week to get a few songs down..but he had tryouts with another guy on this past Sunday and it was Saturday afternoon when i told him i would get a few songs thrown together and also be there Sunday myself....now or never i figured. He was like ..you sure? I said yep ...see you at 7 Sunday night.

Long story short i nailed both of their originals i learned off my space and a Alantis Morristte song "you oughta know" we also covered Brainstew.... rock and roll...and a few others it went real well they were tight although they were off for two months due to no bassist. The young lady sang great and the guitarist and drummer were very easy to play with. They called me back that night and told me to come back this week for practice and that i won out over the other guy who also was good and knew more songs than me but i was as good with less time to prepare. I am not bragging im just happy i'm getting something for all the practice and hard work i put in. i really think this band will be refreshing and i am looking forward to working with them...thanks for hearing me out.

2. Awesome stuff! It's great when you find that group of people who you just click with. Hope it works out!

3. Nice. Give me some tips, I have my first try-out in 2 hours time :eek:

4. bishopthomas

bishopthomas

Nov 20, 2004
    Way to go. It feels weird to be wanted. I just turned down a band I auditioned for that wanted to hire me. I don't have time to commit to it right now, but it felt good to be able to decline.

By the way, I'm not a huge Alanis fan at all, but that bass line on You Oughtta Know really grooves. I just learned it a couple of weeks ago for a different cover band I auditioned for.

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks guys...my advise...go for it..what the heck all they can say is no..then ask what could i have done to have been better.

+1 on the Alantis song "You oughta Know" rocks what a bass line and tone...i thought ...humm... that tone is something i have heard before...yep cuz its good old Flea on da Bass on her album...great line. I am still getting it down and really imrov it a bit cuz i think he does also while hitting the roots and octives..I also listened into her album more good stuff.

You guys are right just someone saying if your good or your good enough to play with us even if you cant take the gig is really cool. I practice and work hard at getting better and even thou i will never be great or a sight reading jazz player or touring rock star i can prepare like one and nail it when the time comes. I never get a big head when i'm told hey... your bass player is good or hey... you nailed that song ...great job. I just want to try that much harder.