1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 hole bridge in place of a 5 hole?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavmonga, Apr 11, 2011.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Has anyone upgraded their MIM stock bridge (5 hole) with a USA Fender string thru bridge (3 hole). It appears that the three holes will line up with the three centermost screw holes on the MIM 5 holes. Can I just use the USA bridge and have 3 screws holding it down? Or will they be ripped out since there is no string pressure pushing down?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    3 screws will work just fine.

3. I bought a used MIM fretless j three years ago with a BAIII installed, which is the 3 screw model for MIA and it's holding fine. Seems kind of odd that the MIM is thought to be of lesser quality, yet more effort to secure the bridge is used on these.

Is the 3 screw setup to facilitate through the body stringing?

4. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Yes, it's due to the lack of space (I'd assume) for more holes since the bridge has holes for strings and screws.

5. Thanks for the info. I'd been curious about this. I guess with 5 screw holes and 4 string ferrules the wood be getting a little weak there. Seems the overall consensus here is top load or string through difference is minimal. All my basses are top loaded.

6. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    I have always wondered this also. Also does anyone know if a Badass III bridge can be used in the same way. My understanding is that they are set up for top load and or string through.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021