1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 holes or 5 holes bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassman74, Oct 21, 2010.

1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Many people are talking about bridge material,mass and rigidity but no body talks about the importance of having the bridge solidly secured to the body...

I personnally don't like the look of the hipshot vintage and b-style bridge, i want to drop an a-style bridge on a fender bass but it only use 3 of the 5 fender holes...

Is it enough or the other hipshot style will be better?

thanks

2. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    I replaced the vintage bridge on my Fender Jaguar with a Hipshot brass A-style bridge. I went from 5 screws to 3 and have no concerns about the mounting. The bridge is solid as a rock. As for energy transfer, the bridge is pressed into the body by the string tension over the saddles.

I changed to the Hipshot bridge because I wanted the top loading string design. I hate sliding strings through the bridge and trying not to scratch the bass.

I personally noticed no difference in the sound or sustain.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    The only reason you would need two more screws is if you stripped the others. Just don't strip the others and you will be golden.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Francois, as long as the screws are of proper size for the holes and at least 3/4"- 19 mm, it will be sufficiently strong. Don't worry, Be Happy :)

5. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    thanks JC