3 hour nightime outdoor gig on New Years in New Enlgand. Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RustfeatherBass, Dec 8, 2022.

1. RustfeatherBass

RustfeatherBass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    I'm in a classic rock band that's been offered a gig on NYE for good dough at a cool place. But... it on an outdoor stage at night. In New England. For 3 hours.

Stage has plastic walls on three sides. There is talk of heaters. Money is good. I've never played outdoors in January, and it seems kind of crazy to me.

Is this normal? Would you do it?

2. Levent

Levent

Oct 26, 2022
    Hell yea unless you have a significant other that would be sad to miss you that night ;)

3. New England is a big region. Are we talking Caribou Maine or Westerly Rhode Island?

4. RustfeatherBass

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    southern nh

Rip Van Dan and Bunk McNulty like this.
  5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've done winter patio gigs at ski lodges in the northern Adirondacks. (Blue Ridge, too, although winter here doesn't compare.) Don't talk of heaters; get 'em in the contract, and be specific. With a tent and event-scaled propane heaters, those gigs are comfortable enough. With no heaters or wimpy patio style heater towers, miserable.

And load out at altitude is going to be winterish. Arrange for nearby parking in your negotiations.

6. RustfeatherBass

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks, @derrico1 , solid advice!

pjbassist and mb94952 like this.
  7. Discount Bassy

Discount Bassy Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Right Here.
    I've played a few cold outdoor gigs and can say that it is not my favorite situation for nimble fingers. Heaters are your friends in such situations and hope for no wind.

8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    exactly how much money are we talking here? I don't like the cold but I love gettin' paid.

9. RustfeatherBass

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    Same here! 3x our normal rate :)

in other words, more than Spotify, and less than an entry level day job

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  10. groovepump

groovepump

Aug 3, 2020
    Agree, if the money's good . . .

_Obra_ and RustfeatherBass like this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If they have heaters, sure. Otherwise, it's gonna be torture.

12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    more than Spotify, and less than an entry level day job :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

13. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    I gather the pay is satisfactory? Hopefully, the heater talk will be more than that. If you do the gig, I’d bring a space heater just for you alone. Wear thermals. When I did my cold outdoor gigs, I used to have my SVT, I’d stand real close to it. Those warm tubes made for a cozy fire! :laugh:

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Do it. Make sure there are heaters.
    And accommodations. Driving after NYE is amateur hour. Have fun.

4-stringB, Spidey2112, smogg and 10 others like this.
  15. alex1fly

alex1fly

Feb 5, 2008
    Fingerless gloves. Fingerless gloves. Fingerless gloves.

16. FullumMusic

FullumMusic Commercial User

Oct 13, 2022
    Queens, NYC
    Audio/Music software developer, contracted with a company you've heard of and deving my own stuff.
    So much this.

For me, if the heaters aren't gonna keep me hot enough to play in a t-shirt, i personally would pass. Playing with cold hands/wrists/forearms is not only miserable and reduces my playing ability, it's really unhealthy as far as CTS and tendonitis, and could cause playing issues well after the gig is over. I don't mean to be a primadonna, but i might be. :roflmao: Honestly, though, for me, i'm not desperate for money or gigs, so i have the luxury of being more picky. But really, playing a gig that harms your bass-playing-body-parts is counterproductive.

Also, if you do take the gig, bring gloves with the finger tips cut off, wrist bands, and a bunch of those self-heating hand warmer packets. (The liquid ones with the metal disk get hotter than the ones you just expose to air.) And if the heaters are adequate for your body but you're still feeling cold in your wrists or hands, put on the wristbands and the gloves. Tape the hand warmers to the inside wrist-side of the wrist warmers, and in the gloves on the back of the hand.

bste9, Dust2Dust, salcott and 8 others like this.
  17. I recall some NYEs in this area being in the single digits or worse. (BTW, I am about 8 miles from the NH line). It is a crap shoot, but sounds insane to me. Ever tried playing your bass outside in that weather? For three hours? Even a three walled lean-to with heaters doesn't impress me, but I WOULD do it for... <Dr Evil voice> One Million Dollars! LOL

Seriously, I would suffer through *almost* anything for the right price.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  18. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    Nope. And why would the venue think that customers want to be outdoors in that weather? Even if they're mostly inside? Seems strange.

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Your timing will be thrown off by the cold. There is literally no way to compensate for the fact that your fingers will not move when you want them to. They will move, but frustratingly slowly.

I played an outdoor gig in November in 2020 - we had 3 bassists tag teaming the thing (long story). I only had to play 4 songs. I stayed inside until I had to go out, and made it through a couple songs before my timing started to decline. If there isn't a guarantee of 70 degrees at your fingertips, I'd politely decline - 3 hours is way too long to be horridly sucking at timing.

20. RustfeatherBass

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    I’ll have to dig into my heavy metal box :)

Dust2Dust and mikewalker like this.