3 jamerson songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by No_Fingures, Jul 27, 2004.

1. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    i wanna getsome jamerson feel in my stule what 3 motown songs that he played on are best to do that u think
  2. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I wouldn't want Jamerson feelin' my stool...

3. Bassesq

Apr 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Heard It Through The Grapevine is definitely a classic. Also Stevie Wonder's For Once In My Life and just to add a little to the mix, how about the Four Tops with Reach Out, I'll Be There.

There is A Hal Leonard Motown book and also a Jamerson book that have been published if you really want to see his work.
  4. Get the album, Motown: The Classic Years. It's all the Motown hits from when they were based in Detroit. Jamerson played on all the Motown hits when they were in Detroit I believe so this album is full of Jamerson lines. I'm listening to it right now, it's great.
  5. Whats goin on - Marvin Gaye
    Im gonna make u luv me - Marvin Gaye

These are the only two that I know and yep by transcribing these two you definetly get the james jamerson feel

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues and What's Goin' On
    The Supremes - Heat Wave

Check out "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". Biography of Jamerson, and a whole whack of transcribed motown hits with CD including commentary on Jamerson by famous bassists.
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    In addition to the Marvin Gaye tunes (just listen to all of What's Going On, which is my favorite album of all time), I'd sugggest:

Stevie Wonder: I was made to love her, My Cherie Amour, For Once in My Life

Four Tops: Reach Out I'll Be There, Standing in the Shadows of Love, Bernadette

Oh...there are too many good ones, I'll stop there.

8. My favorites are What's Going On (Marvin Gaye), Reach Out and Bernadette (Four Tops). Get these 3 down and IMHO you'll have the best of Jamerson.

All are transcribed in the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book.

The bass line in What's Goin' On was written by someone else in JJ's style, then played by JJ himself.
  9. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    If you're feeling frisky try "What's Happening Brother" ...... also from Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. Killer lines, you can definitely see where Jaco came from.

To politely point out a correction, it was Bob Babbitt that played on Inner City Blues, not JJ.
  10. I Was Born To Love Her, Ain't No Mountain High Enough (the Marvin and Tami one), and Bernadette.
  11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've love Jamerson's work with Diana Ross & The Supremes. Specifically...

* You Keep Me Hanging On
    * You Can't Hurry Love

But also...

* What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    * Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder
    * I Was Born To Love Her - Stevie Wonder

And yeah, I really agree with...

* Reach Out, I'll Be There - The Four Tops
    * Bernadette - The Four Tops

Jamerson is the real deal - the patriarch of the electric bass & the absolute master of the groove. If you can incorporate his degree of groove & feel into your own playing...well, you just can't do better than that...

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Er...what's this got to do with technique? Shouldn't this be moved to Recordings or Misc?