1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3 jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Goundwound, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hi from Ireland. Just registered and hope I can get help and be of help.
    My question; Has anyone fitted 3 Jazz pickups to a standard Jazz fretless body?
    If so, In moving the middle pickup slightly rearward (toward the bridge) does anyone have measurements for the front edge of the neck pickup from the center back wall of the neck pocket?

I hope this makes sense !

:confused:

2. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Just put them almost anywhere you want. Any sweet spot related to harmonics changes as soon as you fret a string.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Hey Groundwound, A few people have gone up to 11.... OK not eleven but some crazy things like:

bootsy-collins.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSuxWbSJElsRak0xCdnWV5Bx24O2Hgiy11Neqlep1L1IEm33TmhzYXMh0V.

amsterdam_glover2.

Have fun! :D

Oh, and welcome to Talkbass!

P.S. the bass in the middle is a MM big al... not crazy but with a looot of bells and whistles. Skys the limit.

4. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    There was a guy who had a Jazz bass like that in one of the newsgroups some time back. Basically it was a jazz bass with a third pickup added as close to the neck as possible. I'm not sure of the wiring he used, but I used to have a recording of that bass with him playing it in his blues band. When you went with the third neck pickup it gave the bass a really low deep rumble sort of sound (without a lot of definition) but it worked VERY well in his blues band.

My Modulus has three pickups though they are more like the standard neck and bridge with the third one a "sweet spot" single pickup between them. Each pickup has a on-off switch. On that bass my favorite sounds are the standard neck + bridge together or just the "sweet spot" pickup soloed.

I am pondering putting a third "neck" pickup on my L2500 Tribute just for grins. The hope would be to try to get that low foofy sound as described above.