1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured 3 LEAF AUDIO Introduces the Chromatron

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Oct 30, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    3 LEAF AUDIO is proud to introduce the Chromatron, a state variable filter like no other. The result of 10 years tweaking, refining and reimagining the state variable filter circuit, it is an optically-controlled analog filter that can switch between envelope control and manual control via expression pedal with the push of a button. The envelope detector is an original design, producing a musical filter response that spans a broad range of tones from vintage quack to future-synth psychedelica.

The Chromatron’s control set offers precise control over the tone and response of the filter. The MODE footswitch toggles between envelope control and the expression pedal input, so that the Chromatron can act as both an envelope filter and a wah. An integrated effects loop allows the user to use dynamics-killing fuzzes and overdrives while retaining a smooth and consistent response from the envelope detector. The RESPONSE knob has a wide input range that accommodates everything from the loudest active bass to a vintage strat.

The Chromatron has a broad frequency response that works with any instrument, and a low-noise signal path using audiophile-grade components. It is housed in a machined aluminum enclosure that is modern yet timeless. Every detail has been engineered to last a lifetime of stage and studio use.

Built with precision at the 3 LEAF AUDIO workshop in the Pacific Northwest, the Chromatron is offered at $349 USD.

Teaser video:

The Chromatron is now available. Visit www.3leafaudio.com for more information.

Chromatron 3600px.

2. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."
    Waiting patiently for the BASS demo :)

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'd be especially happy to hear that the loop effects can be used whether or not the chromatron is itself engaged.

4. Very interesting...

5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    According to the manual, it can. The FX loop makes you choose if the loop is always on, or engaged/disengage alongside the effect

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Looks interesting.

and a new logo it has too...

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    @Jebberz nailed it, and to expand; Assuming this follows suit with the Wonderlove the effects loop behavior will also dictate the type of buffer the pedal will use. If the main circuit has to be engaged for the loop to work the pedal will be true bypass, whereas if you want the loop to function with or without the main circuit the pedal will be a buffered bypass. I run my Wonderlove Deluxe in buffered mode with a Doom in the effects loop and the buffer is excellent. I can't tell any difference between when it's engaged or bypassed despite always being in a buffered state. Assuming Spencer used the same buffer or a new and improved one I'm confident that either operation will work wonderfully. Again, this all assumes a similar behavior to the Wonderlove.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  8. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Oh man I really didn’t need to see this.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  9. Double on that. And something longer than 30 seconds too: video where each knob get rotated and demonstrated. Otherwise it feels like a box-o-knobs to me (not to offend, but # of knobs require much more explanation).

10. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Needs a demo with a fuzz but sounds interesting. I'm curious as to what something in the fx loop would sound like as well. That's a really good idea and I've not seen many filters with an fx loop.

11. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."
    Based on the manual, he has apparently done away with the internal bypass/buffered switch which is in my WL. Using whatever is in the effect loop independently is now handled by the loop on/off switch.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    This looks cool but I have the WMD Protostar and the effects loop is really useful.

13. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

This looks very interesting.

14. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Get the feeling there will be new pedals by spencer very soon.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  15. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    cant wait to see how this stacks up against the wonderlove and the minitron

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've posted my comparisons and an iPhone video comparing my Chromatron and Wonderlove Deluxe over in the 3Leaf Club thread.

EDIT: Short answer is that I've already sold my WLD :p

MYLOWFREQ and adube810 like this.