1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 Leaf You're Doom vs Mastotron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by davedamage, Oct 31, 2019.

1. davedamage

davedamage Hit string, go boom. Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    So.........

I've been out of the game for quite some time. I was recently asked to start a recording project with a good friend who is a phenomenal drummer and broke out all the gear after it had been sitting around collecting dust for the better part of three years. Which means I came back to TB. And then straight to the effects forum and then directly to the classifieds. And then I started buying more pedals, finally got a sixer, ordered a new head... you know how it goes. Recovery is a temporary thing for me.

Anyhow, to the matter at hand. I am an effects junkie, especially dirt and even more so fuzz. I have had a bunch of them. I've sold and traded a bunch of them. I still have four fuzz pedals on my board: a Skullytone Russian Spy, Wounded Paw Battering Ram, Copilot Orbit and a Zvex Mastotron. I recently was exposed to the 3 Leaf You're Doom and LOVED the demo I watched, so I bought one. And it is... meh. On it's own, it's not a bad pedal at all, but I keep going back to the Mastotron for the same sound and what sounds better to me. Now, a lot of this is going into a Subdecay Prometheus for some synthy madness and I'm just not getting the same warm feelies from the Doom pedal. I did a search for "mastotron vs doom" but didn't find anything super relevant, so I'm hoping to solicit some focused opinions from people who have used both concurrently. Are they different enough for you to justify keeping both of them on a board? Something would definitely have to go if that's the case. Am I just not giving it enough time? I'll admit, I haven't been super patient with it. I'll run it for a bit and always end up switching to the Zvex because it makes me tingle. Any suggestions on what setting to try out on a couple of active basses to keep me interested?

This recording project will mostly be drum and bass, so I can probably just dial in two distinct sounds to use, but so far, You're Doom has just been a bit of a flash in the pan for me and may end up back on the block sooner than expected. Please, drop any and all suggestions, soundclips or calls to reason as you see fit.

Tl;dr - is a Mastotron and Doom redundant or am I just impatient and lazy?

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    A v2 of doom just got released offering a more traditional distortion alongside. Might be worth looking into if you like the doom and are looking for more versatility.

3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I think they are two diferent fuzzes and that they can be complemetary if you want.
    The 3 Leaf Doom is more of a Brassmaster inspired pedal. It can give you that enveloped fuzz that responds so well to your attack and with the mix knob you can get a lot of low end back in the mix, if you want.
    The Mastotron is a gated fuzz, a sort of hybrid of the Woolly Mammoth and the Fuzz Factory. It works really great to get you those synth tones and to work with an octave, and it works well with active basses.
    For me, they are diferent pedals and expecting to achieve the same tones is not realistic. I think you can get some real cool tones of the 3 Leaf Doom, just not the same ones as with the Mastotron.
    But in the end it all comes down to one thing: you have to judge them with your gear and your ears. Only then you'll see if you'd like to keep them both or to send one away and keep the pedal that is more close to the sound that you are aimming to achieve.

speedball3 likes this.
  4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I felt the same about the Doom. Tried the Mastotron which was better, but not great. I love the Diabolik though!

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I owned both at the same time, ended up keeping the Doom and selling the Mastotron. They are quite different, IME, I just found the Doom mixed better with my filters and octave for the sounds I was going for.

6. davedamage

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    I'm really just having a hard time getting it to sound like what I heard in the videos, and what I have in my head. I played with the Mastotron for quite a while to tonight and I was starting to get over it. I'm going to give the Doom a good run through tomorrow and really dig into the settings. I will report back here.

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    When I hear the doom pedal I always think of prunes and custard...

Nunovsky likes this.
  8. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It's closer to how the brassmaster functions with lower sensitivity settings.

9. davedamage

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    I was able to do some extensive noodling with this pedal tonight and I will say I was able to dial in some sounds that I really liked, and that was only with one bass so far. It's definitely going to need some more research as I may have jumped the gun on this pedal. I may do some sounds clips if I get a chance.

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Aahh...Interesting!
    Problem; Brassmaster is really expensive, and that's if one finds one at all. No?

11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You have the B:assmaster from Malekko or the Diabolik that are both made around that circuit. Also the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz and the Hiero BEAD are also brassmaster circuits.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thing is, and it is laughable I know...I dislike clones and I dislike 'signature pedals...:(
    I saw an original brassmaster which I almost bought , before good sense kicked in...

Nunovsky likes this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    How close is 'doom' actually to brassmaster or any other pedals?
    Would one go as far as saying it's a clone or almost a clone?
    Does it have a real 'u s p' in terms of anything other than looks and who makes it( to avoid any 'I like it , because it looks a certain way or because a certain maker built it)?

Disclaimer; I am asking all these questions because I have been rather interested in the Doom pedal for a long time , but if there is something that does what Doom does and has done this thing for longer and maybe does it better, I'd be very much interested in hearing about it!
    :)

14. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    So I just got a Doom 2 in (demo coming soon). I can safely say it is not really like my B.E.A.D. fuzz (a Brassmaster clone). They both have a similar octave up vibe going on, but the BEAD is raw and unrefined, whereas the Doom is silky smooth. I've never really played a fuzz that reacts like the Doom. It is controlled, quiet, and super dynamic. It doesn't have the same unhinged snarl as the BEAD, but it is maybe the synthiest fuzz I've ever played (especially with an octaver). Synthy in the sense of really sounding like a true analog mono synth. The 'your' side is just a solid, fat, smooth bass fuzz.

cosmicevan, Robertron, GMC and 2 others like this.
  15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!
    I was mostly talking about version one; version two is basically a version 1 with the addition of a more conventional Fuzz?

GMC likes this.
  16. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Yes, and two options for a 'clean' blend. One being a normal clean blend, and the other only blending in clean low frequencies. Very cool feature.

17. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Digging this pedal quite a bit!

18. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Lol...Zachary....still taking us back to school. Showing us how it's done...lovely sounds there. Particaulrly the sawtooth sound. I'm guessing that's intrinsic to the Doom pedal. I've not heard that sound from any other distortion pedal and certainly not something I can easily get from my Aftershock or Mastotron...or any other pedal in my distortion drawer for that matter!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    All versions have a clean blend. Yes?

20. davedamage

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
    The OG does, but that's the only one I have.

I'm finally getting a little more familiar with the Doom and I'm growing to like it more and more each day. I'm also hearing less and less overlap, or at least what I was initially convincing myself was overlap at first. I still plan on doing some side by side comparison clips before too long.

Robertron likes this.