1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 Mic options for bass cab

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dubmon, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    Hi,
    I'm going to do a recording project and I want to mic my bass cab along with the DI. I only have an SM57 which I've been told actually can work pretty well (this will be on a 1x15 cab). I can also borrow either a Blue Bluebird Condenser, or a Studio Projects B1. Both are large diaphragm condensers, the Blue being the much nicer/more expensive mic.
    But, I gather that dynamic mics are usually used for mic'ing bass amps, so, is the humble 57 actually my best bet out of these three? (If I had them all to play with I'd just use my ears and experiment, but I don't have the luxury right now).

2. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    What kind of sound are you going for? What style of music is the project? Obviously all three will have their differences, but we can narrow it down to either the 57 or one of the large diaphragms with some more details. Thanks.

3. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks!
    I'll be playing a P with flats, using a B100R amp, going for an old-school classic soul kind of sound (with fingers).

4. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    does you drummer have a kick drum mic? that would probably be your best option.
    but the 57 will work just fine.

5. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ya know, I've never been a big fan of kick mics on my bass cab. They often have too much of a scooped mid polar pattern for my taste.

However, based on the description of the session, I'd go for a 57 as well. However, for the old school vibe, you might find that the DI is all you need.

Let us know how it works out, and post clips if you can!

6. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    I actually called the Blue company, because as I mentioned I can borrow a Blue Bluebird from a friend, but he's a high-maintenance cranky individual who I'd rather not owe a favor to if not absolutely necessary(we all know the type I think).
    Now, they said the Bluebird should work very well for this(it's described as being very "all-purpose"), given that I'll be at most at a medium-low volume (not a raging SVT or anything like that). The max SPL on the Bluebird is spec'd at 138dB.
    So heck, maybe I'll try it (and hopefully won't destroy it lest I owe this guy a new mic!)

7. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    ATM25....IF you can find one! I've heard an AKGD112 actually sound good with an amplified upright.

8. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    for an oldschool tone id just go all DI with that bass...jamerson did..enough said.

9. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Go for it! I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you as I've never used that mic before.

10. The last track I recorded was with a Sennheiser 602 on one 10, and sm57 on another 10 and a DI out of my SVT4 Pro.

The sm57, to the surprise of everyone, sounded better than the DI sound.

11. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    Go with the DI and the Bluebird. DI gets you more low-end without the any distortion, which will be especially useful on a 15, but the bluebird will cover the mids and top end really well ^^

12. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007

Hey, that's exactly what we tried and it sounded great. Plus the DI was a REDDI and it was killin' with the p-bass---I was stoked to see that when I went in. I had the B100r set with the Gain way up, the volume up only to about 3 or so--pretty low volume but sounding nice--and the Bluebird just a couple inches from the grill, off-center, and it sounded awesome!