Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3-octave neck pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Captain_joe6, Apr 3, 2005.

1. So i'm getting ready to build my first fretless, my first ever, and I'm toying with different ideas for the neck. I know that a 3-octave neck is possible, but what sort of pickup configuration would work with that, seeing as most of those range nacks extend way, way over the body and cover over any traditional pickup location. What do you all have to say on this?

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Lightwave. The pickup is in the bridge (not quite piezo, though; go to the website for information) itself, which eliminates the worry of covering traditional pup locations. That's one possibility, and since I've never actually used a Lightwave, please try this. I want to know.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You're looking at fingerboard over 7/8 of the speaking length for 3 octaves. For a 34" scale instrument that leaves you more or less 4 inches. You could easily squeeze in a magnetic pickup to take the easy route. Your other option is a birdge/pickup solution: either piezo or Lightwave.

If you are not up to speed on your wiring then I do not recommend the Ligthtwave. There's a lot to install. Piezo pickups are not too bad to wire up.

4. I'd go with a single magnetic pickup and a piezo bridge.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Or you can go the hard route...
    There are a few, that have installed magentic pickups under the fingerboard. I've seen one or two, that had made a hatch in the board, to mount it from the front (seems a little avdenturous to me), and some that had mounted the pickup form the back.

Both these ideas really takes you to the limit of Fantastic Routing, if you're not to take away too much of the board. You should have at least 4 mm left when you're done, otherwise you'll lose almost all tone there, IMHO.

My route would be a singel humbucker, a la MM.
    Or some kind of bridge pup. (Lightwaves are pretty straight forward to wire up, if you do the installation acc to their standard. I didn't, I had to cry :help: and they did. Works nicely, now.)

6. thanks much, guys. after much internal debating and a lot of just looking around, I've decided to forgo this experiment until I'm more at ease with my skills. Great stuff to know, though!