Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 Octave Scales

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Good Morning All, any of you cats know of a good resource for 3 octaves scales on le bass ? I did alot of farting around yesterday and was only able to dig up two octaves...booooo hissssss

any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

2. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    rabbath book 3 the best hands down, 130+ fingerings per scale, and just as many bowings to try.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    That's way too many for my mind to absorb. I'm waiting for the Ray Parker method book. :)

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My concept, which will give you a billion fingerings for just about everything, is based on a single, simple concept. I think the links are still up at the newbie-stickie.

I've had the opportunity to show this stuff to a few folks of varying levels and experience lately with some positive results. I find the fastest stick with people that have some basic foundation in theory (i.e., they know their scales pretty well).

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I second this!

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yes. I read it a few months ago and I need to print it out and study it/apply it.

Thanks.

7. Eugene Levinson's book is amazing. It has three octave scales as well as 3 octave arpeggio sequences.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I just Googled the Book and ordered 2 copies from Amazon. One each for me and my son. I love new books and varied approaches to playing. My son just started College at The University of the Arts. His Private Bass teacher is Charles Fambrough. Simandl I and II are on his list to work with but this book sounds like a must.

9. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah Levinson's book looked good to me and is definitely much less expensive than Rabbath's super scale book (all things considered I'd still go with Rabbath's).

When the ISB mag reviewed it they criticized it for having mistakes in some places that might throw a beginner off (errors in fingering suggestions I think)...but hopefully they're printing a revision now and it's attained "no brainer" status.

Still, the review was positive and much like I read your attitude here Ken where a great player with super credentials offers the bass playing world something of great value for the money!

10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ok, you have my interest now. How many method/Etude Books, Etc are there by François Rabbath and where in USA is the best place to get them?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got Rabbath 1, mail order from :

www.liben.com

- for about $40 - they are based in Cincinnati,Ohio.

12. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah Ken you can go to Liben, Lemur, or Slava Publishing (George Vance) to get Rabbath's books.

The first two books are good but his 3rd book is huge (and a huge $60). It will keep any mortal busy for a lifetime LOL...all major and minor scales with massive fingering options, bowing options, arpeggios in 3rds, double stops. He gets into artificial harmonics and other stuff in it I'll at least never get bored

George's own books are super books that leverage lots of rabbath-approved tricks...snoop his wares too you might find other stuff there you can't live without or don't think you'll mind making your son live without if you decide it's not for you

13. markingroove

markingroove

Oct 6, 2005
    Check out Eugene Levinsons "School of Agility".I use this book with my advanced students,with great results.

14. There is supposedly a Rabbath book 4 being printed now, so watch out for that. I have been told it goes into more detail with crab technique, and using thumb in low positions.