1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 P pups on one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discharge, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Discharge

Discharge

Nov 25, 2006
    Ok I was looking at my p copy project bass and I was thinking....

What would 3 P pick ups sound like? I suppose it's more for visual impact than anything, but what will adding 1 or 2 pups of the same variety do for the sound? Thicken it?

One of my band members has an uncle who is a luthier (sp?), and he will do discount work for us...

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One towards the bridge will add a bit of growl, and one towards the neck will add a bit of mud. But considering the controls, wiring, you may get some great things, or it may sound like total garbage. I've seen basses with dual Precision pickups, just not three, yet.

3. Discharge

Discharge

Nov 25, 2006
    I suppose I could get three installed, and just get either the neck or bridge disconnected which ever sounds better if it did sound aweful.

What did the two P bass sound like in comparison to a single pup model?

4. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    Didn't Ace Frehley from Kiss have a 3 pickup Les Paul (guitar), but the third pickup was fake/hollow and used to hide the smoke bomb he set off mid-solo...

5. Discharge

Discharge

Nov 25, 2006
    There are plenty of 3 pick up guitars

6. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    put 2 regular p's & a reverse one 4 good taste... wonder what that would sound like :pondering:

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    you could just wire it so each one has it's own volume knob or put in a pickup selector...

8. Discharge

Discharge

Nov 25, 2006
    sounds expensive, but I suppose I can ask for multiple quotes.

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    it could be the twin brother to Bootsy's Space bass.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender Stuart Hamm Sig.

[​IMG]

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The only one I've seen with 3 P pickups was played by John Lodge of The Moody Blues. I couldn't find a picture online though.

12. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Each of those J's goes to a seprate output, which each goes into a Mu-Tron.. so he uses every one of those for his crazy sound.

As for 3 P pickups, it could be pretty heavy sounding when all used in conjunction. Don't stick the neck pickup TOO close to the neck unless you want horrible undefined booming tones. Keep it closer to the middle pickup to retain some sort of articulation and dynamic.

13. three words.....FENDER....BASS......VI.

14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Manne Trea. 3 Manne J-style p/ups. Great bass. like a J and P combined in the 3rd Millenium

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I always thought 3 soapbars (one in the P location, one in the J location and a third one inbetween) would be cool but I'm not sure if the additional pickup would add a lot in this case. It would make a neat thumb rest, though, that's fo' sho.

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    our very own joe turski has a single-cut with 3 pickups.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Don't forget my old favourite, the Status/Trace Elliot Barracuda bass!

18. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    My Ric 4004LK has three p/u's and I prefer the sound vs. the standard 2 p/u 4004 series. The LK has a thicker, fuller tone. There's nothing wrong with the 2 p/u version it just sounds a tad pale in comparison. I prefer the third p/u enough that I'm lookin' for a 4004 project bass to convert to an 8 string 3 p/u death machine.....that should sound huge! :p

DSC02057.

TransGreenBlackenedFull.

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Maybe one pup stick to the bridge to give "buuurp",other one just next to it to give "burp" and the other in the original place.I don't know if they would fit though.

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    That Lemmy is an incredible looking bass.