3-pickup Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DemoEtc, Nov 13, 2004.

1. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    There aren't a lot of those around, are they? I saw a Burns but what else have you seen?
  2. I've got a Fender stu Hamm Urge bass. It has a 3 p'up arrangement. J-P-J works Okay
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Le Fay offers 3-pickup and even 4-pickup models.

4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Bartolini makes quad-coil soapbars that effectively let you treat one pickup like two. The typical soapbar isn't that wide, I'm getting some built that are wider which will make a larger difference between the two.
  5. My old PRS had three pups. The neck pickup was right there next to the fingerboard. I could get some nice upright-ish sounds from it, but all in all I had little use for it.
  6. Fender made a bass called the HM. It had 3 J-pups.
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Take an jazz bass, dump a big-ole-phat humbucker in the neck position, move both singlecoils back to the bridge, and you've got instant Barry Oakley magic! ;)

Eat a peach for peace, man! :smug:
  8. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    the washburn one only has two but ive seen his space bass and it has like 5 J pickups
  9. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
  10. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Phantom Guitars made me a 3 pickup bass. The Hamer QuadBass had 5 pickups.
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    One of my Bongos has a SC/H config with piezos in the bridge, and my other Bongo has an H/H with piezos in the bridge. I love the added tonal variety they bring to the mix. :bassist:
  12. Hows about the Schecter Hellcat?
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

OMG! Those are like JayDee, Morch and Alembic all in one.

Manne Guitars makes a bass with three J's... The electronics are three volumes and a tone knob:

I've Played this one.
  14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    basslabs has 3 singlecoil config in all their basses

BTW burns kills all the magic involved with basses same ass basslabs L-bow
  15. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    Actually, the pickup in Barry's "Tractor" was a single coil Bi-Sonic pickup made by Hagstrom.

16. Not a bass! Baritone guitar! But I'll forgive you since you have such a sweet pic of Hobbes as your avatar... "Don't knock my smock or I'll clean your clock!" :smug:

(Oh, and ditto the Schecter Hellcat. Also a baritone guitar).