1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3 Pickup Config. (P-MM-J)?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soohungry, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hey guys just wondering if any of you guys know, seen, played or have any experience with this configuration?

Precision Pickup - Musicman Pickup - Jazz Bass Pickup

I have a spare Nordstrand MM4.4

And don't know what to do with it.

I had my luthier (Matthew Bullus) do this to my Jag.
    Part 1
    http://thesaltmineguitarbass.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/fender-jaguar-modification.html
    Part 2
    http://thesaltmineguitarbass.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/fender-jaguar-modification-part-two.html

I'm thinking of placing the MusicMan pickup in the middle.
    Thoughts?

2. Bozmonaut777

Bozmonaut777

Mar 10, 2013
    If you can and know how to... Its a no brainer

3. I would keep things simple with a 5 way pickup selector switch, because there are going to be impedance mismatches that might negate any benefits of trying to adjust volumes or a blend.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ick.

you'd be turning an elegantly modded Jag into an ugly mongrel, and probably not getting any good tones you can't get already.

there's a reason companies don't design and sell basses with pickups stuffed into every corner: they usually don't sound that good.

(artist-model recreations of homebrew mods notwithstanding)

5. I agree with this.

Conversely, there is a member here with a Jaguar bass that has a mudbucker, split coil P and a DiMarzio X2N. He seems quite happy with the versatility he gets from the setup, but it's not for everyone.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sure, but "versatility" is a loaded word; how versatile is a stock P-bass?

7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It *might* sound good, but the MM pickup wouldn't sound anything like a Stingray, as it wouldn't be in the correct location, and the Stingray sound comes at least partially from the preamp. It also might look ugly if that matters to you (it wouldn't to me).

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I can only say : Do whatever you want. For me, it would be way too much. I would go for a MM humbucker at the bridge and a P-style pickups in the middle of the body. That gives a heck of a sound!

9. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    a split coil humbucker at the bridge would give you the humbucker and your sc "jazz" pup.. tbh then at that point you are better off with two split coil humbuckers with series /parallel switches, active/passive switches and sc1/2/hum switches..

or say screw it and buy an L2000?.. :D

10. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    For the split-style precision pickup it is really important that it sits in the right spot. Unfortunately that overlaps with some of the music man humbucker in it's own sweet spot, so one of the two has to move over.

To make matters worse, if pickups are too close to each other their magnetic fields messes with each other.

So you are unlikely to get a real precision bass sound out of this.