1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 Pickup Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fingerandpick, Apr 1, 2015.

1. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    I'm looking to modify my squier jazz with a third pickup in the neck position (as close to neck as structurally possible). I'm not sure if I should use a J pickup, or a humbucking strat pickup. How should it be wired? I'm leaning towards V V V T, and putting the output jack on the side. For the third Volume pot, would it be the same as the V V T but with an extra V?

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    You could also do V T and a rotary switch, so you can have quick access to all the pick up combinations and not have to drill a hole.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    That seems to make sense to me. I've never tried it, but it sounds like a great idea.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    meh; having put one together just like that for a customer recently (extra jazz pickup at the neck) i can attest that it ain't all that, and don't be surprised if you never used the extra pickup anyway. (the customer ended up not using it much.)

5. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    Honestly I'm the opposite, I love a really neck-y tone. In the current (Standard jazz) i almost never use the bridge pickup except for very specific situations.

6. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Check out some designs of fender jazz bases. You could go for V T V T V T or VVVT. Just copy the wiring of the neck pickup from your bass. Check out what i did with mine. (thread my modded squier pbass special)

7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i have three three-pickup basses, one of which is a three-jazz-pickup configuration. here are some thoughts: have one pickup be of a different type/tonality than the other two, such as two single-coils/one humbucker. two of my basses are wired v/v/v, and one is wired with a 5-way switch/v. i like the idea of a rotary switch quite a bit.

on one of my v/v/v basses, i used pots with switches built in so that i could effectively mute any or all pickups. i find this quite useful onstage.

8. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Mostly I use the neck pickup, too. In defense of the bridge pickup, though, I think that it is often good for blending.

Related to that and to your 3-pickup design is a 4-pickup bass I have. It shoehorns a pickup closer to the neck and one closer to the bridge.

You're going to love the two different neck pickup sounds, separately and blended. :thumbsup:

Mine uses a 3-way selector switch for each positional pair of pickups, with the center setting running the pair in series. The two switches feed a blend pot, followed by a master volume pot.

Good luck!

9. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I think if I was going to get a neck pickup, I'd go all the way and get something like a EB-0 humbucker to get something close to the Jack Bruce sound.

Personally I'd wire it V/V/T with a switch that swaps the neck Jazz pickup for the humbucker. That way you have your stock Jazz setup, but you can shift over to Mudbucker mode with the ability to blend in the bridge position for some clarity as needed. I am not sure how useful the Neck + Mudbucker tone would really be.

An alternative wiring scheme could be to just throw the EB-0 on a separate output jack sort of like how Billy Sheehan has it. Then you have a woofer output you can blend in with your stock jazz sounds via your amp or stomp box.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  10. wooodhead

wooodhead

Jul 16, 2011
    Hungary EU
    This is how i made it. 3 V+tone switch.

reddog likes this.
  11. I would go with the simplest and most practical scheme. Use a rotary switch to select between the pickups, and then feed into a master volume and tone. This eliminates potential issues with insertion loss when you vary the impedance every which way, trying to mix pickups with volumes or blends. Failing that, individual volumes would be best.

That would be extremely impractical. Tone controls operate parallel to the signal path, so if you want them to actually be independent, you will have to isolate the pickups with resistors. Doing so causes a loss of output, however.

12. I think I'd have a three-way switch that selects pairs of pickups. Then have this feed a standard VBT wiring.

I'd also recommend using three humcancelling pickups.

13. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    This is from a thread where I asked this same question you might find it usefull

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015