1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 pickup wiring help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cran, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Hey guys, I've been brainstorming a project bass with three pickups, and have decided that maybe I should do some research into how I should wire it before I actually execute it.

The three pickups I'm planning on getting on the bass are a Hot Wire W-Bucker MultiCoil (Bridge), a Serek B90 (Middle), and a Novak BS-DS with coil split (neck). Additionally, the way I wanted to wire it was with two concentric pots, wired v/v and v/t. I was thinking about wiring it much like a jazz bass. Here's a screenshot of a mockup I've made (Yes, I'm planning on doing this to a Fender Mustang).
    upload_2019-9-11_21-57-4.

Now, I've heard that it's easy to get issues with phase, output, etc. and I haven't really thought about it. If anyone sees any glaring issues, please, could you let me know and (hopefully) help me fix it?

And a final wiring question: I want to wire the coil split in the BS-DS using the three-way switch that comes with the mustang. Is that possible? If so, how would I wire it?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Phase is definitely a concern when combining pickups from different manufacturers, as they often use differing wire color codes. You won’t really know until you actually wire them up. Start with two, and make sure they’re in phase, then add the third and repeat the process.

I’m a fan of three-pickup basses , and having three volumes sounds quite cumbersome to me. When I built my three-pickup 4004 I used a master volume, master tone, and a Freeway Switch, which gives me all six single and double pickup combinations with a minimum of fuss.

[​IMG]

3. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Man, you are so disgustingly right that I feel bad for not having come up with the idea myself. Then I could also wire things like the novak bsds coil split to a push pull pot and use the freeway in the hole for the normal three way. The only real downside to the freeway, I guess, is that you can’t really blend pickup volumes together, but damn is that a simple and elegant solution.

ctmullins likes this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    It is technically possible but it would be an ugly solution, and those stock PJ Mustang switches are the cheapest and nastiest corner of some fundamentally cheap and nasty wiring in those basses (I've owned two).

For your bass the 'tap' is a true coil tap (in the same sense that you might tap into your neighbour's electricity if you are feeling unscrupulous). If you imagine the pickup has 10,000 turns of wire on there, the tap is inserted at the 7,500th turn. This means that 2,500 turns of wire are taken out the picture, giving you a different tone and different output. It isn't as simple as getting 75% of the tone and output, so don't dwell on these numbers; I made them up!

The quickest, dirtiest solution would be to use a SPST switch. Connect the 'tap' wire to one end of the switch and connect the other end of the switch to ground. This effectively ends the pickup 2,500 turns early.

A more exciting solution would be to connect the tap wire to a potentiometer instead, configured as a volume control. This means you could blend between the full 'Bisonic' and reduced caffeine 'Darkstar' setting instead. You might find a sweet tone with it blended partly while in the mix with another pickup.

ctmullins likes this.
  5. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Final daft thought. Do you need that W-Bucker pickup? It is a dupe of the Wal multi-coil pickup, but you're putting it in the extreme bridge position of a short scale passive bass and not breaking out any of the multi-coil functionality available.

I use the bridge position in my PJ Mustang the least. I wouldn't necessarily sink a fancy pickup there, as the tone is pretty thin down there.

ctmullins likes this.
  6. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    It’s not a daft thought, I’ve been umming and ahhing about it since I found their website. I thought that it would be an interesting pickup to top off the combination, but honestly if what you say is true keeping the j pickup where it is would solve a bunch of issues. I think I’ll keep the j pickup in there.

As for your blend pot idea, as cool as I think it is I don’t know if the difference between the bisonic and darkstar sections is enough to warrant doing it. I think I’ll go for the freeway, and master volume and tone, but have one of the pots be a push/pull (or push/push even) for the coil tap in the bisonic.

Axstar likes this.