1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

3 pickup wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by clef360, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Hi, I'm having trouble deciding how I should wire my 3 pickups, which all behave like jazz pickups, with 2 leads each. I was thinking that I could have a volume knob for each pickup, then run that all through a master volume and tone control, but I don't know how well that would work...any suggestions? I want to be able to adjust the volume without adjusting the balance of the pickups, so just 3 volumes is out. Thanks.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I'd go with either individual kill switches and a master volume or 2 blends and a master volume.

I've done this setup a couple times and I've used one of each. The blend one had a blend for the bridge & middle and then that signal was blended with the neck pickup. Both worked well.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like Le Fay's solution for a 3 pickup setup - 6-position rotary switch.

4. uh...any tips on how either of those would be wired? I know the volume and tone basics, but I haven't familiarized myself with blending yet. Also how would you organize that 6 position switch? neck, neck/middle, middle, middle/bridge, bridge, all? or am I off track here? Thanks for being patient with a newbie like me.

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    This guy has a lot of tips on shieldind and guitar mods. you could use one of those strat schematics...

Here you can find more stuff...

Edit: I've never heard it actually, but is a common sense that phase inversion mods sound like crap on bass... Several guitar mods have phase inversion as one of the options, so be aware ;)

6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    What about using a 5-way strat style switch and wiring it up just like a strat?

:^)~

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Before you start drilling the front of the bass for pots and switches etc, I would run the three leads to an XLR or din conector hanging on the end of a short lead out the jack hole, then put three individual volumes in a (metal) test box and play the bass for a few days or even a few weeks. Take it to a few gigs and rehearsals like this. Try it in the studio. You'll find the settings that you like, then you can hard wire them into a rotary switch or choose a setup with blend pots or whatever. You can hard wire your favourite blends onto a rotary switch, too.

8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I built a frankenstein thing with 3 J pickups. I used one volume and one tone knob, along with a strat 5 way switch. Too all of this I put a lead wire from the neck pickup to a push/pull pot on the volume, so whenever I pulled up, that pickup was engaged no mater where the swtich was. This makes for the possibility of more combos then a normal strat switch.

Steve