Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3 piece or 5 piece neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bbob24, Jul 10, 2002.

1. bbob24

bbob24

May 23, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hi guys, If you were ordering a 5 string bass, with a 35" scale length, would you think it would be better to order it with a 3 or 5 piece neck? I would think that 3 piece would be plenty sturdy, but I'm no expert. What do you think?

Thanks,

Bob

2. I really don't think it makes a difference. I have a one piece maple neck 35" scale on my Yamaha, and it has been as straight as an arrow since I took it out of the box. But it is a bolt on. Neck through may be different.

I've never noticed any difference between multi laminate necks. The 3s seemed no different than the 5s.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, and as always, I could be wrong.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    My bass is a neck-thru 5 piece neck. It feels pretty sturdy and I like it. My next bass I hope to get custom. An option is having a 5, 7, or 9 piece neck. What I wonder is how much stiffer a 7 or 9er will feel.

5 is fine. The more pieces the better, I guess. If it doesn't cost much more, then do it.

4. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i really don't think there is a big difference between a 3 or 5 piece neck as far as stiffness.

i decided on a 5-piece neck for my dp-custom mainly because i like the way they look.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The type of wood is just as important as the number of laminates. Often you will see a 5-piece neck with the center and outsides in a softer but tonier wood with two very dense, stable pieces sandwiched in between for stability.

When more stable types of wood are used, a 3-piece seems more common.

There is no real rule that I am aware of. I would put more faith in the quality of the wood used and the skill of the builder than I would the number of laminates.

Seven or more seems like overkill IMO unless you are talking a 7,8 or 9 or more string bass. Although they do look cool on some neckthroughs.

Chas