1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3 ply Binding

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Christine, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Hiya
    I'm thinking of having a go at a 3 ply binding on my current builds white 0.51mm black 0.51mm and white 1.52mm. I've never done this before, my assumption it that the inner ply can be stuck to the wood with CA and the other layers with acetone. Does anyone have any advice or able to point me at some suitable resources? Thing like how to actually apply the individual laminates, individually on build or off build on a template etc. etc.?

2. Allparts has three layer binding. Although the description says all three layers are the same thickness. I guess you could put an additional white layer on the outside but that may not be any easier.

White Black White Binding 06 inch | Allparts.com

Christine and chinjazz like this.
  3. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    I recently tried using their BWB binding. It seemed totally impervious to acetone and I ended up using CA, which I hate because cleanup is always a pain.

I used that checkerboard Ric stuff on a bass and I did it and the plain white top at the same time. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do one layer at a time though.

Christine and chinjazz like this.
  4. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks, I looked on Allparts UK and couldn't find any binding but when I just searched there it was, must be me LOL.

I actually want the wider outside white laminate or even have it cream black cream I'l a bit undecided but the outside laminate is essential to me so I would be needing to bind another 1mm white to that. You can never get quite what you want can you. The laminate I've ordered is from StewMac which is allegedly soluble in acetone, I#'m thinking I should pre bend it around a former then when it's cool and stable leak in some acetone and reclamp overnight to make a single piece then just glue to the body

5. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    All the binding I bought from Stewmac has been acetone friendly so far.

Christine likes this.
  6. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks, I was getting a little worried :)

7. He heats and bends right on the body.

Christine likes this.
  8. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Quick isn't he!!

9. I'm sure there's a bit of fast forward involved.:D

Christine likes this.