1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3-point bridge install question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Hey TBers,

Here's the scoop: I have a japanese (Conrad) EB3 copy that I am sprucing up for fun. I got ahold of a hipshot 3-point bridge for a good price that I'm hoping to install. The bridge on the bass originally was not the same dimensions of the Gibson bridges so I'm filling the holes with plans to redrill. My question is do I need all 3 holes for the bridge, or can I install the bridge without the front point?

2. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

I suggest you hunt down a bridge that fits. There are some Asian copies of American instruments that are built with all metric parts. You may have already encountered the 6mm vs. 1/4" pots and knobs. You should use all three posts for the bridge to function properly. They do make a two post bridge that is similar to the three post, but I haven't used one so have no input as to their usefulness.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Have you checked to see if the bridge fits? Hipshot builds them with some wiggle room. The Hipshot bridge is designed to sit ON the body so the third point shouldn't be necessary. FYI there is a Hipshot two point bridge avialble that is slightly narrower.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You shouldn’t have to relocate the third/center hole. Center is center.

sissy kathy likes this.
  5. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Yeah I checked. The original bridge on the copy didn't look anything like the gibson/epi bridges and was super narrow so it wouldn't have fit at all. I got the 3-point bridge because I found a good deal (used) and didn't mind doing a bit of extra work. Just wanted to see if I needed to bother adding the 3rd hole or if I could get by with just 2. Thanks!

6. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    I meant more is it necessary. There is no 3rd hole currently. I'd have to add one, so if I don't need to, I don't want to.