1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3 point bridge set-up help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by B. Graham, Sep 30, 2008.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Just picked up a cool Westbury Track 4 bass, with a three point bridge.

The top of the bass has an arch, and I'm trying to figure out the best adjustment for this bridge i.e. follow the contour of the top, or set it up more flat?

Thanks!

2. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    Ideally, you want to adjust it so that it matches the radius of the fretboard. That way your action will be consistent from one string to the next.

3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Thanks for you post.

The radius adjustment is fine. I was wondering more of the fore-aft type adjustment in that should the baseplate of the bridge follow along with the contour of the top of the instrument. Since there are three adjustment points I'd assume that you could get the front too high or low, and the same for the rear.

4. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    the for and aft adj will have some effect on string tension as the more forward it is tilted, the break angle of the string passing over the saddle will be decresed as will the tension. and visa vers, in either case it will need re intonating.
    moving for and aft can also be used as coarse action adj.

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Not sure if this will be helpful but it sounds like the bridge you have is similar to the 3-point bridge on an Epiphone Jack Casady bass. Here's a link to Jack's website where he suggests how to set up the bass... with a short section on bridge setup.
    http://www.jackcasady.com/signature-bass.html

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Its not similar, its the same. Like all manufacturing companies, the designers re-use allot of components, so if it looks similar and it comes from the same factory, you can bet your right gonad (testicle for those non Brits) that it is the same.

7. +1 - Use a Stewart-MacDonald string action gauge. I got one, and you can get it so close to absolute perfection measuring off you last fret.